Why is my 2 door Tahoe such a slug? Video inside....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SILVERBIRCH

Reaction score
Is the SES light on? Might want to start there. What gears are in the truck? That has a big effect on the "butt dyno"

Tahoe has 3.42 gears.
If I drive it normal it drives and accelerates very well under moderate acceleration it is only at WOT that it feel like there is some restriction

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start with the basics. Filters, sensors, tire pressure.. Good advice on here

SILVERBIRCH

Reaction score
Yes, that would pop up, but nothing else in there at all? It would be nice to have a gauge installed temporarily to monitor fuel pressure at WOT to see if there is an issue with fuel pressure.

As mentioned also, acceleration depends on what gears you have, and the tire and wheel package. My ECSB with 3.73's and 305 hauls the mail pretty darned good, but I also have stock sized tires. (245/75/16)

none before that just the P0430 code...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In your first video, it looked like it was staying in first gear until 5,000-rpm or so. Is that what it's doing?

It seems like it should have shifted up sooner than that.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Sorry, but looking at the 2 videos it didn't seem sluggish to me, what I saw was what I would expect a 15 year old truck of unknown mileage and maint history to perform.

Your welcome for my input.

God it does to me. Granted, mine only has 78k on it... But my 4 door would eat that thing alive. I would put our 290k w/t with a 4.3 against that thing.

In your first video, it looked like it was staying in first gear until 5,000-rpm or so. Is that what it's doing?

It seems like it should have shifted up sooner than that.

x2. Something isn't normal.

You're lacking power somewhere. I'd start with testing the fuel pressure, then on to the ignition system. Maybe timing?

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here.
It's definitely sluggish. My 186,000 mile Sierra would eat it alive also.
As far as the RPM the trans is shifting at, it is correct. My truck shifts at slightly over 5000rpm.
Your engine is falling on it's face above 3500rpm and it's having a hard time getting to 5000rpm. That's why the truck sounds like it's staying in gear too long.
Check the fuel pressure at WOT.
It sounds like your Tahoe is not getting enough fuel at higher RPM's.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have enough back pressure in your exhaust you could lose some ponys

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised a faulty PCV valve could sap that much power out of the engine. Glad to hear it was an easy fix though