White smoke comeing out muffler....engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevehayes01

Reaction score
If it's a nice cloud of white exhaust, it could be the head gasket. Is the truck eating coolant? See any white stuff when you open up the oil fill cap and look in there? When draining the oil is there any antifreeze in there (antifreeze is heavier than oil and will come out first).

So on my truck its a recently rebuilt 454 that just started doing this.... In looking at the smoke its bluish/grey and goes away in about 1-2 minutes tops and wreaks of fuel combined with a heavy fuel smell coming from the exhaust when you drive as well.

As for the coolant no bubbles or oil in it an no coolant loss.....oil is clean with no signs of coolant in it.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
White hazy cloud out of your exhaust (it smells weird too), upon startup, is your engine burning coolant; blueish is oil.

One way to check what is happening is a leak down and a compression test. See bubbles in the coolant when doing a leak down? Head gasket is the problem. Hear/feel hissing out of the oil fill cap? Rings are the suspect. Hear hissing out of the intake, it's the valves. A compression test can show you if its the valves, or the rings as well. Low compression shown, add a little bit of oil to the cylinder, retest the compression and if the compression goes up, its the rings. No change? The valves are it. Two cylinder with low compression next to each other and the rest are ok, the head gasket is most likely it.

If you are just getting some blue haze on the startup, you need valve stem seals.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
It's most likely just condensation. Nothing to worry over.

kmm2736

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!! I hope its just the condensation. All in all I think I will try and rebuild the engine in the truck at the end of the year.