Whipple supercharger. Funky fuel routing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94OldRed

Reaction score
A while back I bought a whipple supercharger kit for my 94 K1500. I'm going to be putting it on in the next few days but reading over the manual I've stumbled across something that I don't quite understand. It comes with a new fuel pressure regulator, but it completely bypasses the inlet line. The inlet line going to the throttle body stays the same, but according to the diagram it has you run a hose from the return line of the throttle body to the regulator, then you run a line from the regulator back to the tank. Shouldn't you be running from the new regulator to the inlet on the throttle body? It just doesn't make sense to me to be pressurizing fuel returning to the tank and not the fuel going to the throttle body. Does anyone else have an old whipple set up on their truck that can help me out?

crazymater91

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the regulators like that are set up to maintain a certain psi at the TBI!
So in your case it controls the pressure in the inlet line to whatever the regulator is set at! then dumps the excess pressure back to the tank! So you inlet line has the max flow and a constant pressure no matter what the demand of the TBI

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe it works the same. The fuel pump puts out a set account of pressure all the time. By regulating the return pressure you are still regulating the pressure going to the injectors since the excess fuel can only return to the tank after the repair had opened up. Im thinking that the reasoning for their design is that you have less of a chance of sudden fuel pressure drops and spikes. Maybe someone who can explain it better will come in. But most fuel systems nowadays with a return line have the regulator on the return side

94OldRed

Reaction score
So by creating a higher pressure in the return side, does it increase pressure going to the injectors by pulling more through? Sorry if I'm not picking this up right away, it's kinda my first time dealing with running new fuel lines and pressure regulators.