Where to find a single plug wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I broke my #1 plug wire and need a replacement. They're only a couple years old and would be a waste to replace them all. Hell, if I could crimp a new end onto this one I have some shorter wires to pillage good boots off of. Mine got roached when the exhaust manifold stud snapped and relieved a heat shield of duty. That's all fixed now, just need to get a wire on this thing so I can kick it back out to the hangar.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So buy some terminals, and crimp a new end onto the existing plug wire. Every parts store in the USA should be able to sell you plug terminals, plug boots, or single plug wires.

I've seen terminals, boots, and single wires on Summit; although it's been a long time since I've looked for them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh boy was that an experience at Napa, I got the new kid that didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and had to be told to find help. I let him struggle more than he needed to, he had ZERO problem solving skills. Told me they didn't sell terminals or single plug wires. I told him they did and when he finally asked someone we had a part number in seconds. So for $1.17 I got a 7mm and 8mm terminal and was on my way. Sacrificed a spare wire, confiscated it's boot, crimped the new terminal on and we're back on 8 cylinders. Thanks Schurkey!

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Good to know that parts houses still sell terminals and single wires. Knew they did back in the day cause I used to....On a couple of our square body trucks, Dad and I got a DIY set and made our own custom wires by putting the ends on. There was a 2 piece machined aluminum die that you used to make the proper crimp on the wire end, by squishing it in a bench vise. I got good at that after 36 wire ends .....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
None of the single wires had the correct terminal for the Vortec/LT1 distributor so this was my only option. I used to have one of those dies, but it seems to have grown legs. My S&K strippers had a spot for a 7-8mm plug wire so I used that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a time when I bought a roll of spark plug wire, both boots, and terminals. Made my own wires by crimping on both ends.

It's do-able, but not economically feasible any more.

At this point, I've got multiple Summit "house brand" plug wire kits on the shelf. The spark-plug end is factory-assembled, leaving only the distributor end to put together--after cutting the wire to proper length.

A "good" spark-plug-wire crimper is a Godsend. There's a million junk tools that almost work.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's rare for me to need a plug wire crimper anymore as I just default to factory replacements that aren't a foot too long each, but it's one of those things that you really don't need until you do. I am a proponent of having tools like that on hand as when the need does arise, it tends to catch you with your pants down.