Where are you putting your speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
I have an '89 reg cab. 4x6's are stock sizing all around. Uhm, 4x6's suck. I want to install a new deck then either four 6.5's or four 6x9's, or a combination of the two, but the locations are not only terrible sizes, but not the best locations either. So, anyone come up with any good spots for speakers? I'd love to hear or see where you put yours. Or if you cut up or made a way to make stock locations work with either 6.5's or 6x9's, I'd like to hear about those as well. I just can't do 4x6's. I just can't haha. Not a size I like.

This is for now. A new deck and 4 speakers. In the future I'll add a couple 10's behind the seat, but for now just something, anything to get me by cheaply. Stereo in there now isn't stock, but it's garbage! Haha.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
95-98 inner door panels :). I know there is some work into getting them to fit and work with your locks/windows but even if you dont use a panel out of a 95-98 interior, you could still use the idea of a main speaker near the floor and a tweeter.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95-98 inner door panels :). I know there is some work into getting them to fit and work with your locks/windows but even if you dont use a panel out of a 95-98 interior, you could still use the idea of a main speaker near the floor and a tweeter.

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about just cutting off the pocket area near the bottom of the door and making a box to put a 6.5 in and tweeter up top. The tweeter is the easy part, but cutting the panel, well, I dunno. Not hard I suppose, just no going back from that if I mess it up too bad.

EDIT: Are the doors otherwise the same? I'm not above just changing the whole door lol. My driver door isn't the greatest anyways.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Not hard I suppose, just no going back from that if I mess it up too bad.

EDIT: Are the doors otherwise the same? I'm not above just changing the whole door lol. My driver door isn't the greatest anyways.

The door panel may hit the dash when the door is closed :shrug:. Not sure on the inner workings of the door but the outer is the same for sure.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
The inner door from a 95-98 will fit into the older door. Staight up swap. Lock rods and door handle rods from the later doors must be used.
if you have power windows, you can drop a 5 1/4" in above the pocket easily. You can do a 6 1/2, but you may have to move the window/lock harness to get them in there. Magnet size and placement of the speaker is very critical though.

I would do the work to fit the 6 1/2" in on the stock panel because that way, the speaker is 6-8" higher in the door than the 95-98 door panel route.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how I have mine.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The inner door from a 95-98 will fit into the older door. Staight up swap. Lock rods and door handle rods from the later doors must be used.
if you have power windows, you can drop a 5 1/4" in above the pocket easily. You can do a 6 1/2, but you may have to move the window/lock harness to get them in there. Magnet size and placement of the speaker is very critical though.

I would do the work to fit the 6 1/2" in on the stock panel because that way, the speaker is 6-8" higher in the door than the 95-98 door panel route.

I'll look into squishing a 6.5 in there, if not, they maybe a door inside change. I have the power windows.

Some of these cut into the door panel and the grilles painted to match would look good.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_27128_Precision_Power_S265C.aspx

I have 8" PPI mids in my 97, haven't painted them yet though. Just to give you an idea of what they look like bolted to a door panel.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't do this, I have a pocket all the way across bottom. Mine is an 89 and I guess they changed that somewhere along the lines.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do youu install them? Do u have to remove the entire door panel? And isn it a difficult procedure?
Thanks.:)

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 Via Tapatalk

1998, CHEVROLET Silverado z71, extended cab.
350 v8, Vortech Engine