Rear Speaker confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coltersimpson

Reaction score
So I had a aftermarket stereo put in, I’m not sure if the rear right speaker works, as if it’s wired up or not, makes no noise or anything, but the left front and left rear work fine, the right front dash one is super quiet so i assume i just need a new one, but i’m still not sure if the rear right speaker actually works at all or if the speaker is just blown out, is there any way to check if i just need a new speaker or if the wires aren’t connected to my stereo/speaker?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I had a aftermarket stereo put in, I’m not sure if the rear right speaker works, as if it’s wired up or not, makes no noise or anything, but the left front and left rear work fine, the right front dash one is super quiet so i assume i just need a new one, but i’m still not sure if the rear right speaker actually works at all or if the speaker is just blown out, is there any way to check if i just need a new speaker or if the wires aren’t connected to my stereo/speaker?
What all equipment are you running?
Did you play with the fader and balance controls?
Is everything running off your head unit?
If so, pull your head unit out, disconnect where they hooked the speaker wires up. Take a 9v battery and connect it briefly, listening for a "pop or click" in your speaker. If not, then you have a disconnect somewhere along the line.
Also, swap wiring left to right and see if you get sound.
If nothing changes, you are going to have to start popping panels to see if your speaker is toast.
Can always take it back to whoever installed it and make it their problem as well if you're not comfortable tearing into your truck.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Use a multimeter and check for continuity on the various speaker wires. If they're factory, count on them being blown out rather than good.

coltersimpson

Reaction score
What all equipment are you running?
Did you play with the fader and balance controls?
Is everything running off your head unit?
If so, pull your head unit out, disconnect where they hooked the speaker wires up. Take a 9v battery and connect it briefly, listening for a "pop or click" in your speaker. If not, then you have a disconnect somewhere along the line.
Also, swap wiring left to right and see if you get sound.
If nothing changes, you are going to have to start popping panels to see if your speaker is toast.
Can always take it back to whoever installed it and make it their problem as well if you're not comfortable tearing into your truck.
So normally i’d have 2 12’s aswell, but right now i blew the power fuze for my amp, but before i even had those the rear one didn’t work as far as i’m aware, my moms ex boyfriend is the one who set it up so i prob cant take it back there haha, i’ll have to try the wiring swap from left to right, cause it could also be possible i didn’t have enough wires for the speakers or something, if that doesn’t work i’ll probably go and resort to popping panels, thank you so much

coltersimpson

Reaction score
Use a multimeter and check for continuity on the various speaker wires. If they're factory, count on them being blown out rather than good.
I’ll have to go buy a meter today and check that out, and that makes pretty good sense, thank you