When it's raining my truck runs like ****...What could it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coil is simply a step up transformer to take the truck's system voltage (around 12V-14V) up to the 40kV to 50kV needed to properly jump the gap between the electrode and ground strap on your spark plugs. It's two connectors, one coil wire, and a couple of bolts away from replacement. Hardest part tends to be getting the coil off of its mounting bracket (darned things like to rust) and then mounting the new one. Takes maybe fifteen minutes.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aye, it is. It has two, two wire connectors going to one side and the coil wire going to the other.

Okay so is the coil just a wire I need to replace or are the wires running to the actual coil itself? And yes, I am this ignorant about this portion of the motor :lol:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay great so the damn thing is a wire...and since the truck runs good 99% of the time it wouldn't be distributor itself but maybe just the cap? If it is a crack in the cap then I can just replace the cap right? So far on my list I got cap, coil, plugs and wires...

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay great so the damn thing is a wire...and since the truck runs good 99% of the time it wouldn't be distributor itself but maybe just the cap? If it is a crack in the cap then I can just replace the cap right? So far on my list I got cap, coil, plugs and wires...

Yeah, that'll cover most of your ignition related bases. Remember: test, confirm, replace. Otherwise you end up throwing parts (read: money) at the problem and may not actually fix it.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Ight well yall know me I'll just replace all that stuff but what exactly is the coil and how hard is it to replace?

Before I do anything I need to give it all a good visual inspection first just need to understand the coil and make sure it ain't too bad to replace too.

The coil should be held on by two bolts, then its got 1 plug on it and a plug wire, easy to change

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay cool and I can test the coil by spraying water on it, then the same for the wires and the cap?? Thanks a ton guys

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay cool and I can test the coil by spraying water on it, then the same for the wires and the cap?? Thanks a ton guys

You got it. Just be sure to test them one at a time, so you KNOW which one is the problem.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perfect thanks a ton man, honestly tho ill prob definitely do plugs and wires and prob cap...now don't these tbi trucks like the regular old ac delco plugs? What about wires? I want to get the best.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perfect thanks a ton man, honestly tho ill prob definitely do plugs and wires and prob cap...now don't these tbi trucks like the regular old ac delco plugs? What about wires? I want to get the best.

I just had a similar issue - except my truck ran like crap at idle when wet/ dry. The ignition coil is held on by 2, 1/2" bolts which are bolted to the intake manifold if I remember right. It can be a little tough to get to as the fuel lines were in my way (but I had braided stainless lines, so stock lines may be out of the way). I used a MSD coil, Accel 8mm wires, and AC Delco plugs. From what I learned this past week our trucks love the AC Delco brand, but I had the Accel wires already so I used them. So far they are doing great.