When it's raining my truck runs like ****...What could it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well not if it's just sprinkling but when it's been raining and I'm hitting decent sized puddles with those big tires the truck begins to run like hell!!! I'm thinking it has got to be something with the distributor but anyway I just got in from 30 minutes on the road after a big rain while it was still raining and man did it piss me off...First off the truck is get really really choppy you know I'll have the gas pedal half way down to accelerate and it just won't go, it's like it's holding way back and out of no where it will catch and accelerate...and if you floor it or something it will go but you can't hardly try and keep a steady speed at all :nono: It's choppy as hell like it's cutting out...No codes, nothing like that. I pulled over and shut it off to get some gas. Immediately after shutting it off it did better but then after a puddle or two down the road it was just as bad as before so you guys think distributor is a good guess? This isn't the first time It's done it several times before sometimes even not when it's raining but it hasn't done it in a long while so I figured I had fixed it since I had several codes before and fixed those...Have NOT done plugs, wires, cap or rotor yet on this truck but seeing as rain makes it run like hell I figure that's where the problem lies but I'm a noob that's why I want yalls opinons.

Any ideas yall have throw them up can't have this going on it drives me nuts.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a cracked coil housing, bad wires, or a cracked cap. When a coil housing gets even a tiny crack in it, it will allow water vapor into the windings and cause a short. Depending on where the short occurs, it will drop the voltage output enough to only cause a miss under load or possibly enough to stop firing at all. Good way to test is to spray it with a fine mist of water on it while running and see what happens. Wires can be tested with the same procedure. Have the truck running while it's dark and spray a fine mist of water on them. You should see arcing if the insulation is shot. Cap is easy to inspect visually, and should be replaced if it's questionable. Good luck!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I can spray water on the wires, but this coil, I have no idea where that is?? :shrug: and I'll take a pic of my cap and inspect it as well, thanks a ton man!!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay I can spray water on the wires, but this coil, I have no idea where that is?? :shrug: and I'll take a pic of my cap and inspect it as well, thanks a ton man!!

It's at the 11 o'clock position from the distributor on this pic, essentially directly in front of the distributor as viewed in the engine compartment.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my tbi coil was mounted on the intake right next to the throttle cable bracket, between the tbi and the dist. Now it's mounted on the firewall, but I agree me old man had one with a cracked dist. cap and it did the same thing.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? You talkin bout the coil thing Daniel?

Thanks for the pic saatr is that the coil in the pic?

Aye, it is. It has two, two wire connectors going to one side and the coil wire going to the other.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ight well yall know me I'll just replace all that stuff but what exactly is the coil and how hard is it to replace?

Before I do anything I need to give it all a good visual inspection first just need to understand the coil and make sure it ain't too bad to replace too.