Wheels for my stock K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the original wheels on my '89 RCLB. I've been looking locally on craigslist for OEM Chevy/GMC wheels off a newer truck, but haven't found any good deals yet, so I've started considering new/aftermarket options that don't cost a fortune. The truck is at stock height, and will likely remain stock for a while. Looking at Discount Tire, I found a couple options I like...

Pro Comp 69 (16x8, -12 offset)

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/pro-comp-69/p/72825

American Outlaw Ranger (16x8, -6 offset)

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/american-outlaw-ranger/p/20778

Cooper Discoverer ATP tires (265/75)

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-atp/p/11803

Here is the truck. I'll be installing some factory style fender flares as soon as they come in...

If I go with one of the above wheels, plus those tires, I would be spending around $1k before tax, plus mount and balance. That's reasonable, but more than I would like to spend on a $1200 truck. But I plan on keeping it for a long time so I guess I'm willing to justify the cost. I knew a new wheel+tire package wouldn't be cheap, and this looks like a good budget wheel setup for a stock 4x4.

What are your thoughts? Curious to hear what others have to say. If anyone has different sizes or wheels (or offsets) they would recommend, I'm all ears!

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those both look good. I would go with either one and some 285s. The cooper at3 is also an awesome tire

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a tough choice on the wheels but I'm with jorge on the size. Most definitely a 285

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
4wd.com has those Pro Comp wheels for $90 each in a 16x8 size. Free shipping. Offset is -11 and backspace is a "4" according to the website.

Two questions....how far would these wheels stick out past the fenders? Also, keeping in mind the width/offset/backspacing of those wheels, would they rub with 285/75 tires?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had 4.5" backspace with 16x8 wheels on my 1500. Stuck out slightly. I think the stock back spacing is 5 or 5.5" if that helps

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I vote for the Pro Comps, bullet hole rims always look good no matter what;

I can vouch for the quality of the Cooper ATP, I've got a set on my Suburban and they wore like iron, even with the front end being knocked out of alignment they still have good tread all around.

But I'm torn between those or something more aggressive for my K2500,

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would keep combing craigslist, personally. I see decent 6x5.5" wheel sets for sale in my area aaaaall the time. Most people want a little more than they are worth but if you wave cash under their noses they will usually bite. Just ask them what they came off of. If they say a GM pre 2008 I think you are golden.
$1k for wheels and tires is really not too bad. I have a used set of those Cooper ATP's in my side yard that I was going to mount but they are bigger than I thought they would be. Good looking tires with great all terrain tread. Personally I just run M+S highway tires gassed up to 45-50 psi and I get great traction in snow. Offroading around here when the snow melts mostly means hardpack surfaces anyway.

MLX10

Reaction score
It's hard to find stock wheels. The stock of an 88 or 89 alloy 5 spoke are my favorite but though to find. It's always hard to tell if 285s will rub on aftermarket wheels. I like the sticking out look but you won't get that with stock wheels. I'm going through the same dilemma!!!

Reaction score
20's on my sons truck.