What's the truth about running shocks upside down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys I just ordered 4 of the Rancho RS5000's for the front suspension on the truck. I want to mount them upside down because I think they look alot better body up...I know it's :bs: but I would like to know. I've searched all over and I get all kinds of mixed reviews. Rancho says it's okay but alot of people say it's not okay. Twin tube shocks must be installed correctly, and only monotube or cellular gas shocks may be inverted. Again, I'm looking to invert Rancho RS5000's. I know there's alot of knowledgable folk here so I wanted to check with yall before we put them on! Thanks for any help

Griffin

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From all the sites (4wheelparts, summit, etc.) the RS5000's I bought are a twin-tube shock which is the one that cannot be inverted. I'm reading more and more offroad forums discussing this and the hackjob guys are saying it's fine, while the guys who really know and understand a shock, and the different types are saying no. I guess I'll listen to the knowledgeable bunch. I'm not one to rag or dog on anything. Always want it to be right, even if it doesn't "LOOK as cool"...Oh well.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dude buy em, put em on upsiode down and drive it. then flip em and drive it. See if it makes a difference.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
The performance either inverted or not will be the same. The only thing I've heard about inverting oil filled shocks is that the seals wear out and the fluid leaks out. But I've never seen it only heard it. Honesty having the body down will look just as good with the boots. You can flip them but I don't wan to see your shocks fail. But that's all the knowledge I know bro. I like that you do research. It's EXACTLY the way I roll lol.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dude buy em, put em on upsiode down and drive it. then flip em and drive it. See if it makes a difference.
No, I'm only putting them on once. The right way. Why damage $200 worth of brand new shocks when I can research and do it the right way?

The offroad guys put them "upside down" to protect them from damage.

Yeah that's what Mike was telling me but the thing is there are ones you can flip (expensive ones) and ones you can't (most likely mine)

The performance either inverted or not will be the same. The only thing I've heard about inverting oil filled shocks is that the seals wear out and the fluid leaks out. But I've never seen it only heard it. Honesty having the body down will look just as good with the boots. You can flip them but I don't wan to see your shocks fail. But that's all the knowledge I know bro. I like that you do research. It's EXACTLY the way I roll lol.

Well alot of guys are saying inverted the performance is actually alot different because the valving is upside down so there is a huge dead spot in the compression..It's usually the first 1" of travel too which is what usually takes most of the little bumps and shakes out of the ride...I'm all for ride quality so I think these will just have to go on the right way.

I also just found out my cepek kit already has the mounts for a steering stabilizer so I ordered cepek's 77 stabilizer too! It's not noticeable or anything but should be nice addition.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
nice! i still have to fab up my bracket to put my second stabilizer on. and i didnt know about that dead spot, i only heard about the valve leaking so thats good to know

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if you were going to do research and find out why even ask? sounds like you knew your answer before hand and just wanted opinions then when you get one you frown on it and say no I aint gonna do it. They just said it's not gonna matter and running them for a quick trip aint gonna do jack squat to em if it does they are junk shocks to start with and shouldn't be ran period.

IMo that's a realy world answer, flip em and try em compared to stock and see if there's a difference, if not run em the way you want.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah some guys only experience the first 1" of the shock have a dead spot in dampering then you flip it over the right way and it will start working correctly again after a few cycles. That's the least of it though. Some guys are experiencing 3-6" of lost dampering, so literally, "Yes" I could flip them. I could also swallow that whole piece of steak without chewing also.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if you were going to do research and find out why even ask? sounds like you knew your answer before hand and just wanted opinions then when you get one you frown on it and say no I aint gonna do it. They just said it's not gonna matter and running them for a quick trip aint gonna do jack squat to em if it does they are junk shocks to start with and shouldn't be ran period.

IMo that's a realy world answer, flip em and try em compared to stock and see if there's a difference, if not run em the way you want.

Nah I started the thread with no clue. After a while, there were no answers so I continued researching and found answers, but opinions from members don't hurt. It may not hurt them to run upside down, but I don't care to find out. I want to install these 1 time.