Fuel gauge upside down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
I thought I read about this somewhere.
I posted last week regarding my fuel needle just hanging. No reply, but understandable.

Well, after awhile I realized the guage is reading completely upside down. Literally.
At a full tank, it is at the 8:00 position, half tank is at 6:00, empty tank is at the 4:00 position. This happened at random, with the truck on.
Question is-
Can I pull the needle, turn it 180° and re-insert?
Will I be wasting my time even trying?
Is my stepper motor shot?
I had to swap some of the gauge needles during the build, and I have to pull the cover and dial them in more accurately, so I will be at that point. I'd just like to know if anyone has experienced this, and if so, will this fix work? Just want to know what I'm in for, in case I'd be wasting my time trying to fix this.
Thanks!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I believe you just need to remove the lens and with the key off put the needle up.

If the gauge is an air core ( I believe it is) when you shut the truck off the needle goes to a random position.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adding to the above, if you have a good scanner you can command the needle to position in percentage increments of tank level. I think it’s in 10% increments but it’s been a while. Maybe try aligning it that way.

Could be that someone pulled it off and got it wrong or the air core motor is bad. Grabbing a donor cluster is another option, swapping the odometer over if it works well enough.