What's the best starter option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nca2013

Reaction score
I've warrantied my reman napa starter now 2 times in a year and a half, I need to buy something more reliable. Anybody have good or bad experiences with the NBS gear reduction from a 4.3 or a summit racing gear reduction? Or should I just buy a new ac delco starter?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
new delco starter. gear reduction meaning the mini torquier starters i assume? im not sure if an nbs starter will bolt up. i do know that some vortec motors had mini starters so to say. personally i have one i took off a 96 tahoe and love it. turns over much quicker.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The GM minis (gear reduction) are excellent starters. Strong, compact, and lower current draw than the fullsize/midsize starters. Be sure to get the correct bolts when you get one as they are about 1/2" shorter than the fullsize starter bolts and you MUST use the correct bolts. No using washers or whatever to shim up the long bolts, or face impending disaster (broken starter nose cone, bolts broke off in block, starter pad on block cracked!)

These have been used in OEM applications from the early 90's on some vehicles (like some Caprices) and hit the fullsize trucks starting in 94.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can get one for like $50-$60 from dbelectrical, if you want to go new. Not sure if they offer the bolts. If not,

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Is the starter clean when you remove it? An oil leak on it will seep in between the various mating surfaces and bolts and cause resistance to ground, causing the starter to pull more amperage and where out quicker. Also, pull off all power and ground cables and clean them up as well, dont assume they are clean by looking at them. Factory GM battery cables at the battery are good at looking nice on the outside, but hiding corrosion on the inside. Clean the block side of your ground cables too, maybe even add an additional one. Look into the Big 3 Upgrade (google it).

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have a lifetime warrantied duralast from Autozone, and it's held up well. I had to replace it once because my ICM went out, and I cranked it for too long and killed it. Otherwise, it's been going strong for almost 5 years.

If I were you, I would confirm that your cables and ignition system is functioning properly. Also, how old is your battery?

Do you have the heat shield on the starter?

Nca2013

Reaction score
battery is a few months old, and the starter does have a heat shield over the solenoid. Ignition system is in good shape, no more the half a volt of voltage drop on power and ground side. Never had any problems until I replaced the starter. Im going to try and find a junkyard oem chevy gear reduction and try that first, and if i like it ill buy a new one from chevy.