What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ingrammc

Reaction score
I just purchased a1998 Chevy Silverado. I was wondering what you would do first? For example, when I purchased a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible I was told by the forum to change the timing belt. I did not and paid the price later. I am going to list the things I have done so far and what I plan to do, but I am really more interested in the experiences shared here of what "I should do" because of wear and tear on Engine Transmission and Electrical electrical.

Background: the truck was traded for with a co worker his Grandfather took the care to fix it up for him however he did not have a license so it has sat in a parking lot for the last 2 years.

done so far:
replaced passenger window, was shattered from BB gun.
Just received Passenger side door Handle will install this Friday.
Lubricated Seized third door until it finally worked.
Lubricated Passenger and Driver side doors till they worked better.
Oil change, Air filter change, Wipers changed.

things wrong:
After market stereo does not work (Not a fuse)
Doors are a little rough. "thinking about bushings."
Seats are very sticky dont want to spray in lube without removing first.
Headliner Bubbles

Things I want to do:
RKE (literature says it is standard on Silverado's for 98) mine dont work, and does not cycle when 4th and 8th pin wired.
22" wheels
remove Plastic bed liner have Spray in done.
Headliner redone.
Upholstery padding re done.
Remove all chrome
Replace chrome with black and black Fender flares. (Truck is white)
Lower 2" (Maybe)

Now, again, I ask, what would you do?

Respectfully,
Mark Ingram

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RKE (literature says it is standard on Silverado's for 98) mine dont work, and does not cycle when 4th and 8th pin wired.

Hey,

It was part of an option package, look for code AU0 on the RPO label in the glovebox. If it’s there, it has keyless entry and I can post some diagnostic tables for you.

Otherwise I hear that aftermarket keyless entry is easier to install than trying to get a factory one to work. The factory ones have a pretty low range compared to what cars have today.

You must be registered for see images attach

ingrammc

Reaction score
It is Official. I do not have power door locks :(. Now that I am going to have them installed I might as well go all the way and have a remote start put in(Wife is going to be so jealous). I guess now I need to get rid of some 3 button Key fobs I purchased.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I need help I have completely forgotten how to start a new post and i need help with brakes
Click in forums ( top left, red tab) then click axels and brakes, about 1/2 way down. Then click on post new thread.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my to-do list when I got my 99 5.7 Vortec in January last year were fluid changes: coolant, eng oil, trans, rear axle, PAS; brake checkover (and replace what needs replacing); inlet manifold gaskets, relay and 4Hi headlight mod; underseal chassis frame and underside of body (I live where the roads are salted in winter); thermostat in trans cooler line, new rotors pads and wheelbearings; new distributor cap (and maybe wires). I have most of that done - the front brakes and ignition stuff I've still to do. Basic stuff really.
The inlet manifold gaskets seem to be a weak point. If you are losing coolant, think about changing them.

ingrammc

Reaction score
Click in forums ( top left, red tab) then click axels and brakes, about 1/2 way down. Then click on post new thread.

Thank you.

After about another hour of searching I found it. posted my problem but I spent this evening finally bleeding my breaks the old fashioned way using my wife and son trading off pumping them while i turned a wrench.