What transmission do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
I recently Bought a 1997 K1500 with a 4L60E and People Say that only a 96 or 97 transmission will work for it, is that true? If so am I better off having the current one rebuilt or Should I Get a "rebuilt" one off craigslist?
Thanks, Thomas

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it is true 96/97 are the years you can use just checked on the same thing today for my neighbors friends plow truck which is a 97 and I called my girlfriends cousin who manages a local yard and he said by the interchange 96/97 is whats needed

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
it is true 96/97 are the years you can use just checked on the same thing today for my neighbors friends plow truck which is a 97 and I called my girlfriends cousin who manages a local yard and he said by the interchange 96/97 is whats needed

ok thanks For the reply! Ill check Craigslist.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Honesty. I would pull yours an have it rebuilt at well known trans shop. Get a nice warranty. You already know it will fit. Don't have to worry about gettin a wrong year or anything like that. I'd stay away from the Craigslist guys. I tried that in my 93. Gave me a 90 day warranty. 2 weeks after rebuild I lost 3-4 again an said he can't help me because the parts failed :/

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just make sure you get a warranty from whichever rebuild one you call on,there is a guy that sells rebuilt thru craigslist here and has screwed a few people by saying it has a certain warranty and the people i know of that didnt have it in writing from him got screwed when something was wrong after installing it

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Honesty. I would pull yours an have it rebuilt at well known trans shop. Get a nice warranty. You already know it will fit. Don't have to worry about gettin a wrong year or anything like that. I'd stay away from the Craigslist guys. I tried that in my 93. Gave me a 90 day warranty. 2 weeks after rebuild I lost 3-4 again an said he can't help me because the parts failed :/

ok ill look into how much it will cost, my 98 cost me $1600 to have its 4l60e rebuilt, im going to try a different shop and see if they can do it cheaper

94Cheyenne

W/T 4 Life...
Reaction score
just make sure you get a warranty from whichever rebuild one you call on,there is a guy that sells rebuilt thru craigslist here and has screwed a few people by saying it has a certain warranty and the people i know of that didnt have it in writing from him got screwed when something was wrong after installing it
x2
Also take pictures of the bell housing and inspection covers and in the future pick one up that matches the same specs in case the new one takes a dump.
When my original 4l60e goes out I have one that I pulled from a wrecked truck of the same year and already rebuilt it and did some mods to it.
Kinda like winter/sumer set of tires, an winter /summer set of transmissions.
Just a thought...

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
x2
Also take pictures of the bell housing and inspection covers and in the future pick one up that matches the same specs in case the new one takes a dump.
When my original 4l60e goes out I have one that I pulled from a wrecked truck of the same year and already rebuilt it and did some mods to it.
Kinda like winter/sumer set of tires, an winter /summer set of transmissions.
Just a thought...

:think:

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
ok ill look into how much it will cost, my 98 cost me $1600 to have its 4l60e rebuilt, im going to try a different shop and see if they can do it cheaper

That's my opinion. Lol. Next time I have a trans problem that's what in doing. I called within a 50 mile radius when my 91 started acting up an was amazed in price differences I got from the shops in my town an the bigger shops in the big city