what trans is good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd recommend you stay away from JASPER.......

Truck has 130K....

Trans #1, went out in 2003, around 113K.

Trans #2, JASPER Remanned, went in, 8/03, at 113K, to the tune of $3,200.

I bought the truck in 6/09 @117K. One year later, at around 122K, the transmission started to self-destruct. Added Lucas, was good as new. Transmission rattled badly in (D), and increased/decreased with the RPM's in 1st and 2nd.

Lost the 3/4 clutch on the way to an auction @129K. This, plus the rattle, and slipping in (R) led me to have it rebuilt locally by a well-respected individual.

The transmission from JASPER lasted just a hair over 16,000 miles. Granted, this was over the course of 9 years, but the truck was started regularly (remained in a garage until original owner passed away) and driven from time to time.

Shop I had it rebuilt at kept the old parts for me, and showed me just how many of their parts that were installed were of poor/inferior quality compared to what he uses, and several of them were chinese-built.

I will never use JASPER again. Had a 4.3L fail from them in an older truck at 44K, but it was a year out of warranty, and required a full out of pocket replacement,

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah Jasper is one of those companies that sells crates to mechanics cheap. Customers without knowledge of their poor quality buy them and end up SOL in the long run.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I don't see what the advantage is to buying a tranny online... after considering shipping (Not Returning Core, $599) the heavy duty Monster remanufactured 4L80E is about $400 to $500 higher than the local transmission shop down the road can rebuild mine and he has a better warranty. One added bonus is that the local shop is close enough that I could hitchhike up there and kick the guy in his ass if anything went wrong.

All that said, is there really anything special about these online transmissions that I'm missing?

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im with you but if you don't have anyone that is reliable/trustworthy to rebuild your trans online bay be the only option. however where i live i am close to a couple of good ones namely circle d transmission along with circle d converter around the corner from them.

to me i want to find the best builder for my budget be it online or local. it takes talent and know how to build one that will last and not a shade tree mechanic.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah lots of crappy transmission shops around here that could care less but to screw you over

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Finish Line Transmissions. They know what they are talking about and will not just tell you crap to sell their products. I personally don't have one but have replace a few other vehicles with these. They are damn near built-proof with a good cooler and regular fluid changes!