What to do with cracked Vortec heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
When I pulled the heads on this 99 K1500, one of the heads was cracked at Cyl 6 exhaust port. I simply replaced both heads with reman Blueprint Engines heads.

I honestly haven't even looked at the other head much, nor cleaned them up. Is there anything worth trying to save on a cracked head? Valves, etc? Or is it just a boat anchor?

BuzTec

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
When I pulled the heads on this 99 K1500, one of the heads was cracked at Cyl 6 exhaust port. I simply replaced both heads with reman Blueprint Engines heads.

I honestly haven't even looked at the other head much, nor cleaned them up. Is there anything worth trying to save on a cracked head? Valves, etc? Or is it just a boat anchor?

I bought new heads from Summit Racing. They are the Promaxx 2151 Vortec - heads have Vortec 8 bolt holes and 12 bolt too. 185 c.c. intake port size, 60 c.c. ehaust ports, 64 c.c. combustion chamber, 2.02/1.60 valves assembled. $764 for the pair. Have not used them yet engine still in Mechine Shop.

Last edited:

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I picked up some stock reman Vortec heads by Blueprint Engines for $200 each.

I'm just trying to figure out what a sensible thing to do with the old ones is.