What is the Z71 package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought z71s came with 3.73 gears. The ones I've dealt with had 3.73s unless they were changed by the owner

Negative - I had a 98 K1500 Silverado Z71 that came with 3.42 gears as per the RPO codes and the actual gear ratio confirmed ;)

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
No "standard" gear/axle ratio on a Z71, in the same manner that there wasn't a standard interior configuration or nearly standard anything else for that matter. Pretty much the Z71 option is nothing but a pair of bedside decals and a set of shocks.

92oneton1500

Reaction score
After all this learning. Seems I lucked out on my z71. But seems my shocks are original as I thought which is kind of scary having 233k miles but also a good point for the bilstein shocks as they've held up all these years and show age but ride nice for a big truck.

ThundahBeagle

Reaction score
My 98 Z71 has the 5.0 engine, not sure how that happened but there it is. Also has puny 10 bolt rear, going to fix that soon enough.

Had the 5.0 (305?) In my 90 or 91 regular cab short bed. It had a 3 speed manual transmission on the floor, and together it made for a good amount of torque. Doing 50 on the highway and your head would shoot forward if I so much as took my foot off the gas.

Wish I had that truck now. Roll up windows. Had to add a radio. But man, it never ever let me down

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sounds like you had brakes hanging up. Also this thread is 5 years old haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk