what harm would unplugging the timing connector and driving do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep having the same issues with my 88 tbi and I'm wondering what would happen if it were driven with the timing connector unplugged?

I don't have much time to trouble shoot, don't have much time to get online and check questions from old threads and such either.

everything is new, brand new distributor, it's maybe 2-3 years old now, had the same issues since new.

Motor I rebuilt, stock replacement cam, couldn't run the old dist. to try it and see if it done the same thing as it rusted and the pickup coil fell apart, thus why I changed to the new one.

The truck I removed the egr valve, blocked the intake, removed the AIR system, run headers and still have an o2.

The issues, first put together, set it to zero with it unhooked, no power, run ok but no power no speed, wouldn't run over 40 mph. to the floor.

advanced the timing, ran great. tons of power.

the bad... when changing from drive to reverse or vice versa, truck would die. It also once warm will NOT refire unless it sits for 10 minutes or maybe 5. Then it will refire. Always done this, always would not refire even with the old dist. and before the engine rebuild. My uncle owned it before me and drove it so he knew how it did and told me.

I changed the sending unit, rebuilt the throttle body and cleaned it all, changed to a new tps sensor. I also check fuel pressure before and it was right at 12-13 I forget exactly which, my uncle had the FP changed before I got the truck.

new fuel filter 2 or 3 times and no change, ran fuel system cleaner, seafoam and everything, nothing.

truck does have a th350 now and not a 700r4.

and after the tbi rebuild no change done to the dist. from before when I dvanced it and it ran great, everytime you got on the pedal it would backfire or cough like.

advancing it helped eliminate that issue, but increased it's die when changing gears, now it's really bad, but when I unhooked the timing connector it won't die changing gears. It only does it once warmed up with the connector plugged in, when cold it doesn't die. Now with the connector unhooked it won't die, but it still will not warm refire. It has to sit a minute or two then it will refire.

I checked fuel pressure running, and it was steady, but once shut down dropped to zero, mine does not hold fuel pressure once turned off.

the dist. is from autozone, had a new ICM and pickup coil, and I bought a new rotor and cap for it, new coil.

so any ideas throw em out, and if not then let me know driving wise with it unhooked would it hurt anything?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Mine had a lot of the same symptoms after the rebuild. The more I drove it, the more things it worked out on it's own.

I believe the timing wire reduces timing when unplugged. Weird thing with mine, checking the timing with and without the wire plugged in, it would be exactly the same thing.

Mine also had the egr removed and it also doesn't hold fuel pressure when off.

~Via Mobile \,,/

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Unplugging your advance is a bad idea. There's a reason its there. What youre describing sounds like what Ive had ICMs do on TBIs before.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
brand new icm, could be but I'm not sure, wished I had a known good one to try and not waste coin on one and it not help.

I didn't think the timing connector was advance I thought it was just for the computer to advance if need be or mostly retard if it started to spark knock?

I aint sure though not big on fuel injection that's for sure.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
If you disconnect it, you'll get check engine light and it will run on base spark and (i think) fuel tables which are extrememly conservative, from what I've heard from tuner guys around here and on Gearhead. In other words, it won't run very well.

When I rebuilt my motor and took it for the first test drive, i accidentally left the EST cable unplugged, and it wouldn't accelerate with more than 1/4 throttle without almost completely shutting off.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Oreilly and autozone can test ICMs. That connector goes to your PCM for electronic advance. If you set your base timing and reconnect it with the truck running, the timing will not immediately change. If you kill it and reconnect it, it will set properly. I did a write-up on properly setting TBI timing. And its a bit of a stretch calling TBI fuel injection lol....more like a batch controlled carburetor.