What do i all need on my lift kit list?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey guys, im new here so please bear with me. im looking at installing a 6" RCX lift on my 98 chevy silverado k1500 and ride on some lt315/75r16 cooper discoverer stt's wrapped around some dick cepeck dc-2's. besides the lift kit itself and tires and wheels what else is needed to go with this? what should i regear to? 4.11's or 4.46's? thanks for your help guys

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
hey guys, im new here so please bear with me. im looking at installing a 6" RCX lift on my 98 chevy silverado k1500 and ride on some lt315/75r16 cooper discoverer stt's wrapped around some dick cepeck dc-2's. besides the lift kit itself and tires and wheels what else is needed to go with this? what should i regear to? 4.11's or 4.46's? thanks for your help guys

honestly im clueless when it comes to whether you should re-gear or not. My truck has stock gearing and Im running 35's... its not really smart though, but it will drive with stock gears. Changing them is highly recommended though.

You probably will need to extend your brake lines as well

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
315's are basically 35's IIRC. Once you hit that size it's recommended you re-gear to 4.10's. Not necessary but definetly recommended.

I'd also suggest taking a good look at all your front end components, tie rods, ball joints, etc. while you're in there.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'd get ball joints (upper and lower), tie rod ends (inner and outer), pitman arm, & idler arm.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd get ball joints (upper and lower), tie rod ends (inner and outer), pitman arm, & idler arm.

^this. If your stuff is original I would go ahead and do these while you have it apart.

as far as the kit install, I would pick up the torsion bar unloading tool from rough country, makes it real easy.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
^this. If your stuff is original I would go ahead and do these while you have it apart.

as far as the kit install, I would pick up the torsion bar unloading tool from rough country, makes it real easy.

and make sure you get all moog parts. stronger.

you will also want to change the upper control arm bushing the lift and big tires makes them wear out fast!

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score

I will also add that you should replace your upper control arm bushings. I've heard story's about trucks not holding alignments after lifting because these weren't replaced. Not sure if there true but the bushings are cheap and you have the control arms off so why not? And as for gears with 35's don't go less than 4.56's. that's what I have and I wish I had lower. But you have a Vortec so it has a little more power but still 4.56's minimum, you won't be sorry. You will also want a programer to recalibrate your speedo after the tire and gear change.

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys! in the future id like to run a 3" body lift on top of the 6" and run 37s. id rather re-gear for that now rather than later so what is a medium between the two? should i just run 4.56's?it would be about a year or so till i get out of college and thats when i plan on doing the rest

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
No get 4.88s at least. if you know your going bigger, maybe even 5.13's depending on what kind of driving you do!