What are my options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I want to put an aftermarket muffler on my truck but i want to keep the stock piping. And i do t want it loud enough to get pulled over and I want drone to be a minimum. The stock setup uses a 2 in 1 out muffler. I couldn't find any mufflers in this configuration. I was told a magna flow 1 in 2 out could be ran backwards but don't know if thats true.

Would a Y pipe into a muffler be my best option?
Also the 2 pipes coming from the cats is 2" OD, so would I need a 2.25" inlet for my muffler/Y pipe? And the tail pipe is 2.75 OD so would I need a 3" out muffler?

And im considering a flowmaster 50, magnaflow 14" or 18" and the thrush turbo. Which will have a nice idle and accel sound with minimal drone?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you doing the work yourself or getting the parts and running it to a exhaust shop to have it welded up?

I would get a Y pipe and pick whatever muffler/glasspack you want.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Are you doing the work yourself or getting the parts and running it to a exhaust shop to have it welded up?

I would get a Y pipe and pick whatever muffler/glasspack you want.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

I would like to try to do it my self

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I did. I replaced my dual cats with a similar setup from Magnaflow and attached to the stock pipe, then took that back to 2 Flowmaster mufflers. I got the mufflers used from a pickup that had the turn down tips on them. I noticed when I rotated them 90deg on the stock pipe coming from the cats, the turn downs touched. So I welded them together and cut off where I could attach that to the stock pipe. Basically I made my own "y" pipe out of those turn downs. Here's a pic of it

You must be registered for see images attach

Please excuse my booger welds and the clamp. I had used a welder a total of 15 mins before doing this.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock setup uses a 2 in 1 out muffler. I couldn't find any mufflers in this configuration. I was told a magna flow 1 in 2 out could be ran backwards but don't know if thats true.

You could use two mufflers, turning them sideways to fit next to each other.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Thanks guys I think im just going to go with a 14" magnaflow SI/DO and run it backwards.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Looks like you made a similar decision to what I did. I've been trying to find the perfect muffler for a long time, and wound up buying a 14" magnaflow muffler. As a little extra assurance, you CAN run a single in dual out magnaflow muffler backwards. This is because all that is inside is sound deadening material. Other than that, it's a straight through style muffler, whereas flowmasters have chambers and baffles inside that CANNOT be run backwards.

Instead of buying piping that's a quarter inch larger in diameter, I'm just buying the proper size pipe and I'll use a pipe expander to flare out the end so it can fit around the other pipe. From there, I'll just clamp it. So you can think about doing that instead if you'd like.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Looks like you made a similar decision to what I did. I've been trying to find the perfect muffler for a long time, and wound up buying a 14" magnaflow muffler. As a little extra assurance, you CAN run a single in dual out magnaflow muffler backwards. This is because all that is inside is sound deadening material. Other than that, it's a straight through style muffler, whereas flowmasters have chambers and baffles inside that CANNOT be run backwards.

Instead of buying piping that's a quarter inch larger in diameter, I'm just buying the proper size pipe and I'll use a pipe expander to flare out the end so it can fit around the other pipe. From there, I'll just clamp it. So you can think about doing that instead if you'd like.

Thanks for clearing that up. How does yours sound?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. How does yours sound?

I actually just got done with the exhaust today. It sounds great. I'm yet to start it on a cold start, but at idle it sounds pretty quiet - just a little rumble. I would imagine a lot of people wouldn't even realize it's not stock. Cruising is again mostly quiet. Certainly no drone. Accelerating sounds pretty good, it's deep and sounds real nice. Once you get on it, it gets nice and loud. I revved it to about 3,500 RPMs a few times and it was definitely on the louder side. Not obnoxious at all, however. It had a slight crackle once the RPMs reach 3,500, but it actually sounded good (this coming from a person who doesn't like crackle. It's nothing close to a ricer sound).

I have no drone to report with this muffler, but it's most noticeable in the cab accelerating around 1800 RPMs, so I'd imagine it sounds really good from an outside perspective.

My friend got the same muffler installed today as well (he had 4 inch tips whereas mine were 3 inch) and due to this, his was deeper and maybe a hint louder. But his sounded awesome.

I'd highly recommend the 14 inch magnaflow muffler (no need to go with the 18 inch, I'd imagine that would be way too quiet considering how quiet the 14" is at idle).
As for the flowmaster 50 series, I've heard more than one person complain that they drone. And magnaflows are all available in stainless - I'm not sure if the flowmaster 50 series is. I'm very happy that I turned away from Flowmaster.

I've also been told that magnaflows will get a slight bit louder as they break in, so I can't wait to hear mine when that happens. I've heard they don't get excessively louder however, which is good.

After only one day with the magnaflow, I'm certainly sold. If you want something that sounds good when you want it to, but certainly isn't obnoxious the 14" magnaflow is definitely the way to go. If you want something loud and sometimes obnoxious that will most likely rust out after a few years, I'd recommend a 40 or 44 series flowmaster.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I actually just got done with the exhaust today. It sounds great. I'm yet to start it on a cold start, but at idle it sounds pretty quiet - just a little rumble. I would imagine a lot of people wouldn't even realize it's not stock. Cruising is again mostly quiet. Certainly no drone. Accelerating sounds pretty good, it's deep and sounds real nice. Once you get on it, it gets nice and loud. I revved it to about 3,500 RPMs a few times and it was definitely on the louder side. Not obnoxious at all, however. It had a slight crackle once the RPMs reach 3,500, but it actually sounded good (this coming from a person who doesn't like crackle. It's nothing close to a ricer sound).

I have no drone to report with this muffler, but it's most noticeable in the cab accelerating around 1800 RPMs, so I'd imagine it sounds really good from an outside perspective.

My friend got the same muffler installed today as well (he had 4 inch tips whereas mine were 3 inch) and due to this, his was deeper and maybe a hint louder. But his sounded awesome.

I'd highly recommend the 14 inch magnaflow muffler (no need to go with the 18 inch, I'd imagine that would be way too quiet considering how quiet the 14" is at idle).
As for the flowmaster 50 series, I've heard more than one person complain that they drone. And magnaflows are all available in stainless - I'm not sure if the flowmaster 50 series is. I'm very happy that I turned away from Flowmaster.

I've also been told that magnaflows will get a slight bit louder as they break in, so I can't wait to hear mine when that happens. I've heard they don't get excessively louder however, which is good.

After only one day with the magnaflow, I'm certainly sold. If you want something that sounds good when you want it to, but certainly isn't obnoxious the 14" magnaflow is definitely the way to go. If you want something loud and sometimes obnoxious that will most likely rust out after a few years, I'd recommend a 40 or 44 series flowmaster.

Thanks man for all the info on this, Im going with the 14".