Weird crust forming. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this weird crust forming on what I'm guessing is maybe a heater hose? I'm not sure, but it's on the passenger side near the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 80

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's a coolant line. The fitting is made of die cast and will do that over time.

You'll need to replace it eventually, and You'll have a nightmare doing it. It will brake. You'll have to cut and pick at it to get the threads out of it. Once you've got it out, don't put a new one back in. Replace it with a barbed brass fitting.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
That's a coolant line. The fitting is made of die cast and will do that over time.

You'll need to replace it eventually, and You'll have a nightmare doing it. It will brake. You'll have to cut and pick at it to get the threads out of it. Once you've got it out, don't put a new one back in. Replace it with a barbed brass fitting.

Yup. Just got through replacing that fitting along with my water pump literally only two hours ago. It sucks, you'll touch it with a wrench and it will break. Have fun. Like horns said, replace it with a barbed fitting and a new hose to the heater core.

If you've been thinking about a different intake, now might be the time to do it!

Sent from my Nintendo 64

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I ended up holding down the quick disconnect hose in the fitting and turned the fitting with a wrench without dropping anything in the intake. The plastic clip broke apart as i was turning but it didnt go in the intake because i was holding it down.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the way that I have always done it. Try to remove it and if it breaks don't sweat it. I use a big ass torx bit (I believe it is a T55) and beat the piss out of it right into the center of the broken fitting. I go as deep as it will possibly go and then I use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe to spin it out. Using this process has never taken more than 10 minutes. I always clean up the old hose and replace it with the dorman steel version.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

I just took both mine out with a Cresent wrench with no problems