Weak power locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Hey what's up. My 2000 k2500 crew cab power door locks are weak. I push the button on the key foab and all four make noise like they are trying to move however they don't seem power full enough to slide the whole way. Same thing with the power lock button on the inside. After a few tries of the lock button they seem to lose their ability to move at all, like batteries dying in a remote control car. Now this is the case on all four doors. Linkage works but is stiff, my 9 and 11 year olds have trouble unlocking them. Ive checked the lock mech in each door and it works freely without the acuator connected. Anybody have to replace these?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This may not be much help. Have you checked the grounds?
I have aftermarket power locks in mine, & they hit hard when actuated. Had to get in there & adjust their positioning to the little arm that sticks up on the rod. The actuators had bent the mounts & the rods. Lubed it all up with lithium grease when I was done. They work a lot better now.
I really hate working on the inner door mechanisms of these trucks.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
if they still work then most likely they are just dry slide points. like said above LUBE THOSE SUCKERS UP REAL GOOD! EVERYTHING GETS LUBE... those slide tabs where the rod runs along, the door latch mechanism itself and anything else that that rod connects to! if it touches anything LUBE IT!

i put some power locks from a lumina on my old 66impala and as long as i keep the rods/linkages and latches lubed they work great! but when they start to get dry they dont want to work and act like a dead battery just doesnt have enough power to lock or unlock them!
ask any women with DRY SOCKET ;) ALITTLE LUBE GOES ALONG WAY.LMAO J/K

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I might need to lube mine too. sometimes I have to hit the power lock button on the armrest a couple of times to get my passenger door unlocked.

Jude

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP did u ever find a solution? I also have a 2000 k2500 crew and I am experiencing the EXACT same problem!

Sent from my phone using my fingers

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Yup what the guys said about making sure everything gets lube is the solution. I got the rear. Door locks working by doing this it's just a bit of a process if you never taken them apart. Take your time and you'll get it done.

Jude

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can u explain how to access the inside of the rear doors?

Sent from my phone using my fingers

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Just pop the door panel off after you take the trim piece off of the inner door handle, the tabs holding the trim work opposite from what you think so go easy so you don't break the tabs off. Now take off the door panel and you should be able to figure it out from there. Like I said its a bit of a process working on the insides of GM doors but take your time

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Here's a tip. When you go to take that inner panel off, the window will drop like a rock. So, to prevent that, use some 4" wide masking tape and tape from the bottom of the inside glass, all the way up & over the top of the door, then back down the outside to the bottom of the outside of the glass. 3 or 4 strips of tape will prevent the door glass from falling when you open things up in there. .

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the time you can lube the latch area by rolling the window down and spraying wd40 one the inner part of glass without pulling panel off. If you peek in between glass and weatherstrip (inner) with flashlight you can see the rod that goes from the latch to the actuator ( hit the lock/unlock switch while you look down there) and use the wd40 with the straw built into the can.
When your done roll up window and clean all wd40 of inside of glass, windex works.