Water pump question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As promised, here are the pics. This one was made in Mexico. And it’s definitely not painted black, but it is a darker grey iron than your typical cast iron that you would expect to see.

And if GM just ripped me off for an extra $100 with little to no difference, I’m Ok with that because I’ll sleep better! Lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP’s 251-719

And $38-$50 252-711

Casting’s look different.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one was made in Mexico.
My Mr Goodwrench TBI long block was made in Mexico too. It's still going strong. Well at least the bottom end is :biggrin:

A suggestion - check the tightness on those back plate bolts. I've had ones come loose from the manufacturer, then had to dismantle the front end just to tighten them.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My Mr Goodwrench TBI long block was made in Mexico too. It's still going strong. Well at least the bottom end is :biggrin:

A suggestion - check the tightness on those back plate bolts. I've had ones come loose from the manufacturer, then had to dismantle the front end just to tighten them.
Yup Chevy or any water pump, check the tightness of those rear plate bolts! Every once in a while, the builder or rebuilder forgets to tighten them. There actually is a torque spec for them, but I don't remember what it is. Been a couple of years since I replaced the last pump on my Burb. It's in the factory manual cause I remember looking it up for my other 99 Burb, back in '07....just don't remember the #. It's not a lot though, they're small bolts.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't see it mentioned, but it's recommended to replace the fan clutch along with the water pump, eh.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does appear that we have proof that they are different parts, and likely not off the same assembly line. Now the question is whether or not it's worth it. As I pointed out above, the $50 part is mid-tier according to GM.

On to the philosophical discussion...
I'm not sure how GM does it, but in the defense industry, demanding 5-nines reliability is one of many reasons stuff aint cheap.
The consequences of a part failure in military aircraft is far higher than for our trucks. Still, you have to have a critical eye when a vendor says they can improve the quality.

Gray iron is 90% of cast iron production because it's strong enough. I'm less worried about the material and more worried about the casting process. Substituting a higher grade of iron when the cheaper version works is not quality, it's expense. Our water pumps have bearing and seal failures, but I haven't seen a casting failure yet, and if I did experience one I would blame a casting flaw instead of a material inadequacy.

When I parted out my '87 Jag XJ6 to build it into a race car, I was amazed at both the expense and lack of quality in its construction. The interior door handles weighed a full pound apiece. I followed one wire circuit from the front of the car, to the back, to the front, and to the back again. It was a 4000 lb car that should have weighed 3500 lbs. They did these things out of a rationalization that they were improving quality, but it you remember, Jaguars were notoriously unreliable at the time. Spend the money where it makes a difference. Jaguar only improved their quality by getting bought out by Ford.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can agree with that, even your description of grey iron. But the context of even why it’s being discussed is incorrect.
For at least the second time, I only pointed out the difference in casting materials was in response to your comment:
I am inclined to believe it came off the assembly line right next to the $50 part.
I never tried to make the argument the price difference was in casting materials, but that there were physical differences alone that meant they weren’t coming off the same assembly line.
The only point I was trying to make was sometimes paying 2-3 times the price for for a product, that may only be 15-25%(example)better, is a common retail situation and up to the individual to determine.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AC Delco gold is unlikely to be AC delco products unless its stuff they are getting rid of from other lines or they do produce but at a lower quality than other products.

Delco gold is often other brands private labeled as ac delco. so, vast ocean of **** potential.

the gold isnt bad by virtue of it being gold, but it needs more scrutiny across every single product.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC Delco gold is unlikely to be AC delco products...
Far as I know, ACDelco makes NOTHING. They are a sales/branding organization with zero manufacturing facilities. Their entire product line is "bought in" from other suppliers and crammed into custom-printed boxes.

When ACDelco says their product is OEM, what they mean is that they're buying and re-boxing from the folks who actually make the product for GM.

The whole mess was a financial shell-game--companies being created and companies being spun-off of GM to raise cash. Some of those companies continued to supply GM, for example AAM took GM axle designs, and now sells that same product back to GM as a top-level supplier. AC and Delco-Remy merged, then split. ACDelco survived...anyone heard from Remy lately? Far as I know they're out-of-business although they did have legitimate parts sales for awhile. The function that AC, and Delco-Remy served in the GM heirarchy was somewhat replaced by Delphi, which does have some manufacturing capacity. Delphi marketed into the aftermarket, ACDelco markets into the aftermarket, and Remy marketed into the aftermarket. But I don't think ACDelco or Remy sold to GM. That was Delphi.

But I've been wrong before.

It's like keeping track of which parent company owns which consumer and which professional tool companies.

Last edited: