Water pump question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m trying to get the accessories I need to build my engine because I plan on painting as much as I can to match the engine. I’m thinking about going with a AD244 as well.

Anyway, I’m on Rockauto trying to order an ACDELCO water pump and there are 2 options. I’m pretty sure I threw away the one I pulled off during the disassembly process. So how the hell do I know which one to get? Here are my options;

You must be registered for see images attach

It’s just a 1996 Vortec. Nothing special. Can anyone tell me the difference, if any in these 2 and/or if they are physically interchangeable? Thanks!

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably both will fit, just different levels of quality. I just put in a 252711 on my ‘96 4.3. It was $38 on amazon. I got the new dorman bolts for it for another $10

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably both will fit, just different levels of quality. I just put in a 252711 on my ‘96 4.3. It was $38 on amazon. I got the new dorman bolts for it for another $10
Yes you are correct. I just checked and my part #251-579 which is an older number. I purchased a NOS pump.
I wonder where they are manufactured now?

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
86454k30 stated in this forum dated Dec 13, 2011, that he used to work for an ACDelco distributor. The 251 series pumps are considered OE General Motors... the same as you would get from the dealer and only available for GM vehicles. The 252 series pumps were what they considered their "all makes" line which is/was available for all makes and models. We had good luck with both pumps, but IIRC the 252 are made by GMB, which makes A LOT of the pumps for Carquest, Napa, Federated, etc.'s new after-market lines.

So I would have to agree with Caman96 that Part#251719 seems to be a sure bet! Unless you want to go about the hassle of purchasing both and putting them side by side to see if there are in fact any differences such as in height (which will determine how close the fan blade will be to the radiator core) and any other different configurations and discrepancies that you notice, but that's a personal choice totally up to you. The only advantage is that you can at least return one of the water pumps you purchase and utilize the correct one due to your findings. Anyway, good luck with your decision and let us know what happens.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offense to Stringer but there’s probably at least some reason why one is $100 more.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I was looking awhile back new AC Delco was coming from China, but I don't recall if that was the Professional line, or Original Equipment line. I ended up buying a Airtex, I think. I still kick myself for tossing the original water pump from my truck. I had it kicking around for awhile and got tired of stepping over it. I do have the second pump for my truck, that was supposedly off a crate engine (GM?), and it's at least a GM casting. One of these days, I'll send it out to get rebuilt by a custom rebuilder.

The problem I've had with the new Chinese pumps is that they start leaking after a short time.... the Gates I had looked fantastic, but only lasted 2 years.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did put another chinese ac delco pump in my gmt800 in 2017 when i replaced entire cooliong system, zero probs.