Water Leak Passenger Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEIslander

Reaction score
My 94 3500 has a water leak on the passenger side. If I pour water on the windshield it almost immediately starts dripping near the blower motor. I have one of those fibre optic cameras and stuck it behind the blower motor area. It appears it's coming through the heater box. I can't get a good enough view to see if it's a crack or what but I would assume water shouldn't be getting into the box in the first place. Is there a common issue I should look for. Of course this comes when it's -5c out and dark at 4pm and I work until 5..

I'm booked to get my windshield replaced on Friday. I assume they have to remove the cowl trim. Is there an area I should look at while the trim is off?

Thanks
Todd

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the blower is out, use a mirror to look straight up above the recirc door in the intake. This screw goes through the cowl and into the blower intake. Water can get through it and pool inside the blower housing. Pour water on the cowl and see if it’s coming through there.

Use your favorite goop or RTV or whatever you have and seal the hole, reinstall the screw and goop it some more if you like.

You must be registered for see images attach

Another leak point can be the antenna grommet in the firewall on the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PEIslander

Reaction score
So I was at the glass shop today and had a look at the cowl while the trim was removed. There's what appears to be a plate on top with sealant around it. I saw a Youtube video where a guy removed this and had easy access to the area underneath. We scraped at the sealant and it appeared this piece is welded in place. Is this the case or is there a trick to remove it? Photo with arrow shows the piece I'm talking about.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was at the glass shop today and had a look at the cowl while the trim was removed. There's what appears to be a plate on top with sealant around it. I saw a Youtube video where a guy removed this and had easy access to the area underneath. We scraped at the sealant and it appeared this piece is welded in place. Is this the case or is there a trick to remove it? Photo with arrow shows the piece I'm talking about.

Personally I didnt remove it. I used a wire when got it cleaned off and sealed it with silicone. I think by 3m

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The classic leak is from that one philips screw in the cowl. Hard to believe the amount of water that gets in thru there but so be it.

Try plugging that screw hole on the passenger side and water it down to see if you got it. Hope that helps!

Obsny

Reaction score
I think my leak is underneath where the fresh air tube pokes through. There's a foam seal that apparently fails as they age.
This is the video I'm referring to:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hey bro did it work after reaseling did water stop running inside

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey bro did it work after reaseling did water stop running inside
Thanks for bumping this thread. More than 3 years ago he posted that video and I never saw it. As much as I've been inside and out on these trucks, I always thought that the fresh air intake inside the cowl was a sheetmetal portion of the cab that was permanently attached. Had no idea there was a stupid foam seal between that part and the cowl area. Learn something new every other day, and I'll be sure to mention this anytime someone brings up the passenger side water leak into the cab. It may just be why my '93 is still leaking despite replacing the windshield (which was absolutely leaking - I saw it come in at the top edge since the headliner is currently out.)

For everyone following along - this fresh air intake is where the infamous "cowl screw" leaks into, but if you've already sealed the cowl screw, the seal around the fresh air intake itself may have failed. I'll be digging into mine at some point soon.

Richard