warm start up issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After the truck has been running for a long time and you shut it off when i restart it runs horrible (like its being choked out or something for about 1 or 2 minutes with the check engine light on then all of a sudden it clears up and runs good and the light goes off. This happens once in a while only. Any ideas?

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I've got a warm start issue where my Suburban is simply difficult to start, takes a bit of cranking, when warm, but then runs fine as soon as she starts. I believe the fuel pressure regulator is the main culprit although the fuel injectors and/or fuel pump may have something to do with it as well. Not sure if this relates to your issue exactly though...

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redwood, any codes? Sounds like the IAC is on its way out. Stepper motor is slow.

Alex, how do you figure its a fpr related issue? Does it crank at normal speed? Mine was doing the same thing. I had check fuel pressue and it was good. It reared its ugly head one day when she cranked real slow. Thought the battery was weak. took it out and tested it. tested good. VD'd the positive battery cable. all good there as well. The starter was going bad. It was drawing too many amps.

Im just saying so be so quick to a conclusion if you haven't ruled out anything for sure.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Redwood - year, model, and engine please. Miles and any other work you've done to it would be helpful. Diagnosing long distance is tricky.

Alex - Vortec 454 hard warm start is usually injectors AND regulator. Since the upper plenum has to come off to do either, suggest you do both. Yes it's a chunk of change but these are known issues. Especially if your symptoms are the classic ones - starts cold OK, warm starts have long crank times and eventually stumbles up to an idle, often accompanied with black smoke from tailpipe.

Richard

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx for the info Richard. I don't have a vortec 454 but it's good to know.

Reaction score
it is a 88' with 140,000 miles and all I have done to it is change the battery, starter and alternator a while back as they went out

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
redwood - hmmm, hard warm start on a TBI 454 is a whole different story. That's not a common problem. First thing I would do since it's giving you a check engine light, is check the codes. Crazy easy with just a paper clip. If you don't know how then try reading here: http://www.troublecodes.net/GM to learn how to do it, and use this page http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/gm-92-95-ck-pickup/ to reference any codes you might get.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a code 15, but check and let us know.

Richard

Reaction score
that's a good idea I remember hearing about the paper clip thing but I couldn't remember exactly what you were supposed to do so that will be helpful it actually does not start hard but it does run like poop for a minute after you get it started then it clears up all of a sudden and the check engine light goes away and this is totally random but always wHen its warm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969