Vortec vs TBI - Stupid Questions, need answers please :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone, how are you and your trucks doing?

Ours isn't so great. Some may remember that we bought an '89 K1500 regular cab, shortbox with a 350 and a five speed, that Getrag nastiness. Anyway, the original engine has 225k miles and the previous owner burnt up a valve and it runs like molasses down a window on a cold day. Anyway, I'm looking to swap a different 350 in there but have a couple questions..

1) Should I just wait for the right TBI casting number block to come along (one with roller valvetrain) that was built 1991+?

2) Should I wait for a Vortec engine to come along and swap my TBI stuff & accessories over?
2.1) If I go Vortec, can I use any of the accessories already on the engine? Doesn't look like it, maybe the water pump?
2.2) If yes to 2 & 2.1, will it run right with the TBI injection & stock tune or will the Vortec cam & heads outflow the stock tune? I can't seem to find an answer to that by just searching.

Reason I ask is I will have to have the swap done. I can go pick the engine up but I'm not inclined mechanically to do that type of work. Also, Vortec would be cool as would LS but this truck isn't nice enough to justify that cost. I'm just tired of its hesitation/stutter-y acceleration and crappy idle that it currently has with burnt up valve and also burns oil past 1,700rpm.

Thank you for your advice and knowledge fellas!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reason I ask is I will have to have the swap done. I can go pick the engine up but I'm not inclined mechanically to do that type of work. Also, Vortec would be cool as would LS but this truck isn't nice enough to justify that cost.

Sounds like you've answered your own question to me. If I were in your situation I'd wait for a nice TBI engine and keep things as simple as possible.

Or you could always have a trusted mechanic open yours up and rebuild it... You'd spend more than replacing it with a junkyard engine but you'd have a little extra peace of mind.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Well that's what I would prefer to do as I might even get a functional A/C compressor out of it but the sooner I get an engine lined up the sooner I can have a shop get started on it. Once the frost hits the truck is going into service so I won't have time for it to go down.. Right now there is a nice looking Vortec for sale for $450 with 100k on it locally. The TBI's I've seen come and go are all skuzzy & have the look of poor maintenance with no mileage or the vehicle it was pulled from. So, if I can put the TBI intake & accessories on a Vortec engine and be fine that would mean I could get an engine this weekend :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotcha, that makes perfect sense. I'm bored in front of the computer so I just cross referenced some part diagrams on GM Parts Direct. Looks like the water pump part number interchanges between Vortec and TBI 350s, but pretty much nothing else does when it comes to accessories.

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable can chime in.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ok, cool. Thanks for that info. Wasn't sure as the whole accessory package looks different. I think this turd's water pump is going anyway. Considering I paid $3xx.xx to have the water pump done on my Town Car about 5 months back, $400-$500 isn't bad for an entire engine I think.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the vortec long block, install a vortec pattern intake for a carb, use a carb to tbi adapter plate, install all of the tbi accessories and exhaust manifolds. Stick a quarter under the fuel pressure spring to increase fuel pressure.

Install engine and set the base timing to 4 degrees btdc with the est connector unplugged. Tuning would be best but you will get by with the fuel pressure and timing bumps.

If you can swing it you want to replace the accessory brackets with the aluminum ones from a 90-95. The 88-89 steel bracket cracks by the power steering pump.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I just took our other car to the shop and asked about such a swap. They said they wouldn't touch an engine I brought in. Second time I've heard that. So, bit the bullet and having them order an engine out of a 95 3500 Chevy van. Probably flat tappet crap but it's the only way this will get going again. Engine was 675, labor will be about 1100. We'll sell the F250 to recoup some funds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

streetperf

Reaction score
I just took our other car to the shop and asked about such a swap. They said they wouldn't touch an engine I brought in. Second time I've heard that. So, bit the bullet and having them order an engine out of a 95 3500 Chevy van. Probably flat tappet crap but it's the only way this will get going again. Engine was 675, labor will be about 1100. We'll sell the F250 to recoup some funds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
With that many vehicles in your garage, don't you have some friends that would help or you help them do the engine change?