Vortec Heads, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Etec 170's, not cheap though.

Manganese bronze guides, thick decks, great flow, light weight, screw in studs, heli-coiled for strength, and so on. Can run higher compression ratio with pump gas.

J Thomas

Reaction score
I found a used Edelbrock 3704 TBI intake, cheap. Any recommendations on a good set of heads that'll work better than stock and vortec?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i wouldnt downgrade from vortecs, either buy them new or buy them cheap and have them fluxxed, other decent heads you can get to flow decently, 083s, 113s but 083s are better, convert lt1 heads but thats alot of work, other than that youll have to drill the head for serp accesories and still go through them, better off slapping on some reman jegs or summit vortecs or findin aftermarktet freshened worlds/protoplines/darts etc that are cast iron and nothing super fancy.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
get rid of that intake too, plus it only works with tbi heads unless you drill out the center holes to accommodate the different bolt angle. you can use tbi heads and do well, i did before, but it was a lot of work and ended up welding some of the runner because i went through them while porting. downside is that your rpms still remain low.

J Thomas

Reaction score
Question : What's a good aftermarket set of heads that are the equivalent or better than Vortec heads? Strictly DD/Towing purposes, thanks!

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Why bother buying vortec heads and spends all that money on machining them when you can get of dart style clones for 399 bare they have everything your looking for out the box 2.02/1,6 valves fast burn / vortec style ports .100 thicker accept 3/8 studs . You can mount tradition or vortec intake manifolds. Flow with in a few cfm of dart aluminum pro1 heads.
Comp valves are 80$ ls3 beehives valve springs are 60$ ( those springs will handle more lift than you ever need) retainers ,keeper, locks , studs 100$
I use them on my forged 383 turbo motor. Search Assault 200cc dart copy's you will see allot of 3rd gen guys using them on high horse power motors.
I personally am a machinist I put them on a surface plate and measured there tolerances. They were with in a few tenths (.0003-.0009) here and there. Thats as good as you will get from any other company.
Point being spends your money wisely. Hp per dollar these are a great buy. These will allow some one like you to increase compression to 11:1.1 gain a bunch hp cheap.

cookseyb

Reaction score
Scoggin -Dickey sells a new set already prepped for a higher lift cam etc. Vortecs will generally be worth about 50 HP over the lame stock heads. I got mine used and had Rogers Machine in Corpus Christi go through them. Crane springs Manley valves etc. worked great with a Comp 268H cam..

Mgezee1992

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of these guy videos but not this one. Well, I bought a set of used 062 heads for my build. We have yet to send them to the machine shop to see if they are cracks. I am thinking about just not everpn wasting my money on them now. I spent $200 dollars on them.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Please don't take the opinion of four or five people on the internet as the be all/end all truth. I have a set of 062 vortec heads from I don't even remember where (cheapest place I could find them...maybe Summit Racing) on the 0.040" overbore 350 in my Suburban. I'm running a GM "395" (ramjet/Ht383 crate & marine application) camshaft (196°/206° @ 0.050" lift & .421"/451" lift on 109 LSA), with Scorpion 1.6:1 roller rockers & alexsparts.com flat tappet trick spring/retainer package to accommodate the necessary spring pressure and clearance for the cam/rocker combination. There are stock press-in rocker studs, no clearancing for the rocker arms, and no machining of anything for the increased lobe/valve lift. No parts interfere. Nothing has broken. No rocker studs have or will pull out. The engine is a f@cking beast. It moves my 6000# lifted 4x4 Suburban well enough that it has an identity crisis, sometimes confusing itself with a much more nimble cousin like a camaro or corvette. No, it probably couldn't hang with one, but still, it would surprise you, in traffic or on the highway. Serious. These are stock heads. The $600/pair "062" vortecs. You don't need all the crap these kids are talking about in here.