Vortec head swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I will confirm that. Actually, you HAVE to use your stock distributor.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much money would it take to get a 93 with 4l60e transmission and meaning all the cost for it to pass emissions test and run correct as it's running now stock?
Thanks! Roland

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so rather than create a new thread Im going to jack this one a little, what all does the ECM control on a TBI engine? I want to just build a mild vortec headed carb'd small block for my 88 but I would like to get the A/C working again.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
so rather than create a new thread Im going to jack this one a little, what all does the ECM control on a TBI engine? I want to just build a mild vortec headed carb'd small block for my 88 but I would like to get the A/C working again.

fuel, spark timing,egr and 93-95 it controls auto trans(91+ on 454ss and 3/4 ton with 4l80e)

your 88 you can put in a old school hei dist and carb and run it, the a/c has nothing to do with the ecm, i had a 69 olds interceptor 455 in mine at one point

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
fuel, spark timing,egr and 93-95 it controls auto trans(91+ on 454ss and 3/4 ton with 4l80e)

your 88 you can put in a old school hei dist and carb and run it, the a/c has nothing to do with the ecm, i had a 69 olds interceptor 455 in mine at one point

This. Just use the HEI dizzy and you'll be fine.

Here is a thread on how to make your electronic transmission work with the carb set up without having to use a stand alone controller.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?1362-How-To-Ditch-EFI-and-keep-TBI-PCM-for-4L60E-Control

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Geeze Horns, not your first barbeque! You have the anwsers for everything when it comes ot these trucks and their engines... I wish i knew that much

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
This because it goes into my stock engine right? which the distributers in the new models are different. Correct?

Well you just wanted to switch to Vortec heads but keep the TBI system right? The stock style distributor would need to be kept for this because it's ran off of the computer. If you were switching to a carb set up also like Tyler asked about it would be easier just to eliminate the computer from engine management completely. Hence going with an HEI distributor.

Geeze Horns, not your first barbeque! You have the anwsers for everything when it comes ot these trucks and their engines... I wish i knew that much

Thanks man. I've rebuilt a few of them. Ken is also very very knowledgeable. There's a lot of stuff that he knows more then me about!

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Red I knew just wasnt sure about the green part, thanks guys