Vortec head swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990rooster

Reaction score
I have a 1990 k1500 with a 350 I want to swap out my heads out for some vortec heads. What all do I have to ditch? Intake? Headers? My old tbi? Computer?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You don't have to ditch anything but your intake manifold. The bolt pattern for the intake is different on vortec heads.

You need wither a vortec to tbi intake from GMPP or you need to get a carbed vortec intake and get an adapter to fit a tbi.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Is it really as simple as that? Pull old heads, replace with vortec heads and new intake manifold? Plug it all together and go?

Yes. The GMPP manifold has provisions for the EGR but the carb manifolds don't So if you go with a carb manifold and an adapter then You will also need to delete the EGR.

It would be best to get a tune also along with any engine modifications such as this as to optimize the gain you will get out of it. But it is not a necessity.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Hmm very interesting, thanks Horns. Looking at doing some motor work here soon.

Thinking of pulling a 5.7 tbi now.. do the head swap, cam, tune..
If going to a complete vortec 5.7, the wiring harness's would be different right and need to be spliced into eachother ?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Hmm very interesting, thanks Horns. Looking at doing some motor work here soon.

Thinking of pulling a 5.7 tbi now.. do the head swap, cam, tune..
If going to a complete vortec 5.7, the wiring harness's would be different right and need to be spliced into eachother ?

Yes, going to a complete Vortec engine would be a lot more difficult. You would almost need a completely new harness due to the fact that the Vortec engine uses different sensors, different form of injection, you would need a completely new ECM out of a Vortec truck to run the engine, etc.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Yes, going to a complete Vortec engine would be a lot more difficult. You would almost need a completely new harness due to the fact that the Vortec engine uses different sensors, different form of injection, you would need a completely new ECM out of a Vortec truck to run the engine, etc.

Thanks ya sir. Too many ideas going on in my head, not enough money & knowledge to make it happen.... YET

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to clarify something. The vortec injection has a completely different wiring harness. If you swap one engine for another they are a bolt in except for the intake as previously stated. If you swap a vortec engine you get much better heads and a factory roller cam that is more aggressive that the pathetic tbi cam.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I would like to clarify something. The vortec injection has a completely different wiring harness. If you swap one engine for another they are a bolt in except for the intake as previously stated. If you swap a vortec engine you get much better heads and a factory roller cam that is more aggressive that the pathetic tbi cam.

What are you clarifying? That Vortecs a better engine?
They are a bolt in replacement if wiring harness is swapped?
I'm more confused by your post than anything o_O sorry.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What are you clarifying? That Vortecs a better engine?
They are a bolt in replacement if wiring harness is swapped?
I'm more confused by your post than anything o_O sorry.

Yes that is what he is saying. The Vortec engines have a factory roller cam, better flowing heads, and a better form of injection then the TBI engines. The Vortec engines will bolt right in place to the motor mounts and the transmission but you will need a completely different harness and a completely different ECM to make them run.