vortec 6.0 or vortec 8.1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I might sound crazy but this would be awesome if I could get a nice wrecked donor truck with an allison trans and 8.1 just general opinions of if it would be a cool swap to get done or if a wrecked 6.0 would be enough with a 4l80e for my truck

and I meant for this to go into the ls section

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
a 6.0 would be alot easier, as its a typical lsx motor mount where as the 8.1 is different and not many people have done it. i do love the 8.1 motors though because after a good valve port and polish job, matched ports and bigger throttle body, exhaust cam and tune. 670hp and 800ftlbs was awesome in an 01 2500 hd

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 8.1 has bosses to use standard big block motor mounts, so no special LS motor mounts needed. I looked into this option as a replacement for my 350, but decided on a 383 instead.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
8.1's are thirsty low-end torque monsters. Apparently they don't like to be wound up, rpm wise, either.
I've looked into them too, as a swap into my '98.
From what I've read about Josh's (Fastorange) experiences with his & from a few others, is that they also have a bit of a prob with excessive oil consumption. Even on low mile examples. A different viscosity than what GM stipulates helps.
I've read an article on FSC or GMFS where a member there did this swap. It required a bit more work than the average LS swap.
Can't find that post. Someone here recommended that to read. Maybe they'll see this & repost the link

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a guy on the Tahoe forum that transplanted a Duramax/Allison into an OBS Yukon. That'd be killer.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe to get the Allison to fit in anything less than a 3500HD (which the last year or two were available with) you either need a body lift or major trans tunnel surgery.

The oil consumption issue on earlier 8.1's may be related to a crankcase vent tube in the bottom of the intake; a member on 3500HD found that between an older and newer model, there was a bend in the newer one, apparently to prevent it from directly sucking up oil. While rebuilding an older model he replicated that bend; after the rebuild it no longer used oil - where previously it had from day one.

And no big block likes being wound up, unless you do a lot of work first. :)

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I believe to get the Allison to fit in anything less than a 3500HD (which the last year or two were available with) you either need a body lift or major trans tunnel surgery.

The oil consumption issue on earlier 8.1's may be related to a crankcase vent tube in the bottom of the intake; a member on 3500HD found that between an older and newer model, there was a bend in the newer one, apparently to prevent it from directly sucking up oil. While rebuilding an older model he replicated that bend; after the rebuild it no longer used oil - where previously it had from day one.

And no big block likes being wound up, unless you do a lot of work first. :)

Richard

Yup! Awful big pistons & valves to be throwing around @ 6000+rpm.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Is love to see it happen but they're not the quickest stock. You can pull down a house but a 5.3 will smoke ya.