Vortec 5700 Camshaft upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would work. You might want to check the max valve lift on the stock head (I forget what it is) cause the exhaust might be getting awfully close to it. Outside of that it's a pretty mild cam.

In your shoes I'd go with a more agressive RV cam and get a 411 with a tune instead of a CAI. The tune itself will net you quite a bit more power.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where do I find out information like the max valve lift? That's one of my main obstacles in looking at parts. I dont know 100% what I'm working with right now.

RV as in recreational vehicle?

As for the 411, from what I've been reading, the change itself wont net me any increases, just more available in the future.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
at .451 exh lift you should be fine...max lift for Vortec heads is around .470 depending on the truck

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where do I find out information like the max valve lift? That's one of my main obstacles in looking at parts. I dont know 100% what I'm working with right now.

RV as in recreational vehicle?

As for the 411, from what I've been reading, the change itself wont net me any increases, just more available in the future.

Google it. :) I got around .475, as AM92 stated too.

It's just a name, but RV type cams are bottom end torque vs. high end horsepower emphesised grinds. Great for trucks that haul and tow in another word. Check out CompCams website, they have all the variety and a lot of flavors of hydraulic roller cams. For less than $150 you can replace the springs with bee hive ones that will give you plenty of lift as well.

A 411 with a tune will definitely net you more power on a stock engine, where a cold air intake will actually just suck warm air from the engine bay. The air cleaners are designed pretty well and get their air from the fender on the Vortec engine.

This will get you around 1hp/1c.i. and even more on torque:
Cam - $300
Springs - $150
Lifters - $150
411 - $100
Tune - $200

Roughly $900-$100 for about 100hp and 50 lbs. of torque. if you do the work yourself and the engine is relatively healthy. One thing to keep in mind is that the transmissions are not really designed to take more than stock power if that, unless you have the 4L80E or the NV4500.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, I was told that in increasing power, I would run into the problem of the weak bottom end of the vortecs. How do I know which connecting rods with fit? I know it's easy to figure out the bore, but I dont know how to find the stroke.