Vortec 454 trouble....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The thermal paste conducts heat from the ignition module to the body of the distributor to help keep the module cool. Without the grease the modules can crap out pretty quickly and leave you by the side of the road.

It's not on the distributor, this is a Vortec engine. It's on a heat sink next to the coil. I would think that if the ICM has overheated it would be blown, but maybe that takes time.

If this truck won't even turn over, the ICM isn't the problem.... or at least not the main problem.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 PSI sounds low
before you start chasing ghosts
spray some starter fluid into intake throttle body
Not too much and see if she fires up
I use Delphi pressure regulators
also if you are back there replacing regulator
replaced the Oil Pressure switch (it also controls fuel pump )

496nx

Reaction score
My truck is a 97 C2500. Months back I replaced my injectors with five o motorsports injectors along with a new fuel pressure regulater. I also put a new fuel filter on the truck.

Tuesday, I was driving the truck at 45 mph or so and the just cut off. I did the classic screwdriver test. I'm not getting no fire to the plugs. However I'm getting fire going to the coil.

All the fuses I can see threw looks great as well.

So far this week I've replaced the following parts but with no luck. Any help appreciated.

New ignition coil
New spark plugs
New distributor
New ignition wires
New cam position sensor
New crank sensor
New ignition module

Anyone have any advice? I'm at a dead-end road and I'm lost.
I have a 97 with the 7.4 vortex and it wouldn’t start one day when they pulled the number three spark plug wire off turn the key it started therefore there was arcing going on in my cap replaced it with a new distributor haven’t had a problem cents might help you might not

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AC Delco or Delphi parts only when replacing.

Either a defective or out of spec replacement part.

Distributor stator needs to be checked for crack/s. (requires removing the distributor) if you do this replace the pick up coil (Delco/Delph brand)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Distributor stator needs to be checked for crack/s. (requires removing the distributor) if you do this replace the pick up coil (Delco/Delph brand)
There is no pickup coil or "stator" in a Vortec distributor.

There's a cam position sensor, and the rotating trigger wheel/rotor mount.

TBI distributors often have cracked magnets or failed pickup coils, though.