Vortec 454 Revs up high then dies HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
Are these venom injectors supposed to be direct replacements for the stock ones? I understand they're 19 lb, but there is more to an injector than just the flow rate. What pressure were they injectors rated at? Was it 19 lbs at 3 bar or 4 bar? Are you sure they're all connected properly?

Also, what brand of sensors did you replace everything with? Unless you know for certain that the MAF was bad, I would swap back to the factory one. The aftermarket ones are generally garbage, and your MAF airflow table would likely need tuning for it.

What brand is the IAC? Again, unless you can prove the factory one was bad, I would swap back. If the issue started after the injector swap, then there is no reason to assume the IAC is the culprit.

Are all the grounds connected? Wiring all good to the IAC? Do you have something you can datalog it with? If not, probably get something.

I would be really interested to see what your TPS is reading, and also what your IAC position is at when starting. This doesn't really sound like a fuel pressure issue to me.

After the crank and cam position sensors are changed, and crank relearn procedure needs to be done, but I don't think that would make it run like garbage, just throw a code.

Also, are you sure the distributor is installed correctly?

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html

They are rated at 4 bar, they are for the lt1. Everything I bought was b&w. I only disconnected 1 ground and it was put back properly. The distributor wasn't messed with except for the cap. No I don't have anything to data log or even know where I could get one.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're saying they are 19lb at 4 bar? The stock injectors are 19 lb at 3 bar, so they actually flow 22.5 lb at 4 bar. What is the injector part number?

elm 327 blue tooth adapter and torque pro app for android is the cheapest way to get data logging that I know of.

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
HP-619-8 is the the part number for the injectors I got and i have android so I'll have to figure something out

tom joyce

Reaction score
#1, the computer is panicing because it sees strange values it's not used to - because you changed all those sensors. Put the old sensors back in - or you must have the computer re-flashed.
#2, I hope you know that "pressing the gas" doesn't physically add fuel or fuel pressure. It adds air. Your computer does the rest.
So a messed up computer will cause ALL of your issues here...have it re-flashed and go from there...

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
#1, the computer is panicing because it sees strange values it's not used to - because you changed all those sensors. Put the old sensors back in - or you must have the computer re-flashed.
#2, I hope you know that "pressing the gas" doesn't physically add fuel or fuel pressure. It adds air. Your computer does the rest.
So a messed up computer will cause ALL of your issues here...have it re-flashed and go from there...
All those sensors were replaced 2 months after the issue came up, and it changed nothing. There for the issues does not lie in the computer panicing. I know pumping the gas only adds air, I was trying to keep the engine alive long enough to see if it would throw a code.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HP-619-8 is the the part number for the injectors I got and i have android so I'll have to figure something out

Honestly, until we see some sort of log data showing tps, iac, or some other failure, I'm going to blame these injectors. That is the only real change that was made from the beginning.

The voltage offset, transients, minimum pulsewidths, etc could all be different even if they flow 19 lb at 3 bar like the stock injectors.

Edit: Unless you know of someone else that swapped these into a 454 with no issues?

I would see if you can return them and buy a set of bosch 19lb injectors. Or something like an LS1 injector if you want to get it tuned at the same time.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To piggy back on what Christian is saying, I checked them out on Summit, jegs, etc, and no where does it say they were intended for use on a 7.4L vortec. Although they look to be built from the same body style, and plug, it could very well be they were intended for a completely different style of FI system

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
Well what injectors would you guys most recommed? I actually tried putting the stock injectors back in and now seem to be too short. links would be appreciated