Void Box Delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had seen before where people get rid of the void box in the engine, saying it can gain hp. They'll take it off then put a plug or something on the hole. Does it actually do any good to do that?

FYI, the void box is the little black box behind the throttle body that says "Vortec" on it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all that box does is act as a silencer to quiet the intake down. there's really no gain in performance or power when its removed. other than perhaps a placebo effect from having a slightly louder intake

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it. Just get a 2.5" (IIIRC, I may be wrong) Fernco rubber cap from Lowe's or Home Depot, and cover up that hole. No noticeable difference really, possible throttle responce, but like Alocious said, it may have been just a placebo effect.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it won't hurt anything to remove it as long as its sealed up well, and it will open up some space back there. so there's nothing wrong with taking it off, just don't expect a gain in power from it.

the only possible source of a power gain I can fathom comming from the mod (and I'm really grasping at straws on this one) is simply because the air won't have that added space to get more heat soaked. but the additional time that the air has in there to pick up some heat is pretty miniscule, and it still has to pass through the intake manifold and intake runners, where it will heat up the most, so it really won't amount to a measureable gain IMO.

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting a huge gain or anything. It may make it sound a little different though, I might as well just try it.

Reaction score
It does make it louder but you will not gain anything from it, I did this with a pipe cap from lowe's before getting my CAI.

Reaction score
Just did this today with a rubber 2" pipe cap. It was a little tight, but the cap was very flexible.
There is noticeable intake whistle. I also cleaned the MAF sensor while I had the intake apart. If you haven't done it. DO IT! Made a big difference in throttle response. And runs smoother (even though one of my o2 sensors is shot).

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
throttle body spacer is another cheap way to make a lil difference too, and if you like the whistle it seems to add to it alot.