Valence = better mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the bumper valence actually has a noticable effect on fuel mileage? Mine doesnt have one and i'm getting around 18. just wondering if getting one would make a real difference.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
in theory it should make a difference, as it would keep less air from going under the truck creating less drag. that being said I doubt it would make any real world difference.

sent from the GMC

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Normally things like that do make a difference...but not a terribly noticeable difference.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
in theory it should make a difference, as it would keep less air from going under the truck creating less drag. that being said I doubt it would make any real world difference.

sent from the GMC

Not saying you're totally wrong there Dean, but things work a little different then that. The more air it lets under the greater the chance of it creating a high pressure area. Now think if it was completely sealed off from air moving through it. It would create an extreme low pressure area, causing the vehicle to actually be sucked down to the pavement when you drive. That's gonna create more drag, but a lot more downforce at the same time, making drivability better.

So in theory, with the valance you wouldn't so much get better MPG's, but better drivability. But it all honesty, when the bottom of the valance is already 2 feet off of the ground, I think it's mostly there for appearance.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Anything that forces more air over the smooth sides of the bodywork vice the rough underside of the vehicle (suspension, frame crossmembers, etc) gives you a net gain in reducing drag.

However, the increase in MPG given the speed and characteristics of a truck is going to be fractional in this case at best.

I run with mine on, makes me feel better....

:rofl:

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I guess at this point in my trucks life I have to run with the "valance" on. me thinks it would look pretty silly without it lol

sent from the GMC

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
I remember a guy on FSC a while back asked about this. I really don't think it makes difference, if it did you'd probably be talking like >.3mi

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think 18 is not that bad. You could be getting 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would think 18 is not that bad. You could be getting 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea... i wouldn touch it if it gets 18. I assume you have a diesel from your screen name. When i bought my truck it didn have one. After all my mods i decided one would look nice. I installed it and still average 11.2 mpg. So in all honesty, im sure it wont really matter. Its just there for looks

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, my old truck was a diesel with a 5spd and 4.10 gears..my new ones a tbi 350 with 3.42's and right now im scared to know how bad its doing haha needs a tune-up.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk