Vacuum pump needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are good vacuum pumps out there; I ran one in a Caprice I built up. But it's not actually going to be much cheaper than hydroboost, if at all. The good pumps are a few hundred bucks, and then you'll need some adjustable vacuum switches and some relays so you can set the high/low hysteresis properly. Because the pumps aren't designed for 100% duty cycle, you will also need to make sure that there are no leaks at all so you don't burn the pump up accidentally. You will also need to add a vacuum reservoir in there somewhere; the pump needs to have some volume in the system beyond what the tubing and piping provides. I ended up with around 2 liters of volume before I was happy with how mine worked. Any less, and I would have inconsistent brake feel because the vacuum would move around on repeated brake application and the pump couldn't keep up.

You can't just add a reservoir to the system you have because the manifold vacuum won't ever drop low enough to actually 'charge' the system.

So yes, you could do a vacuum pump, but you would be better off saving up for used hydroboost parts. Go to a junkyard, watch FB marketplace, etc. I got my hydroboost setup for something like $50 earlier this year off of Facebook from a guy parting a truck out.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I threw a late model camaro’s vacuum pump on my burb, wiring up sensors and relays was, um, troublesome. That science experiment went back to the parts bin.

BTW, The pumps get crazy hot fast, I was concerned that it would fail pretty quick from the heat they produce.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a bigger cam that doesn't have enough vacuum to run the brakes. Would an aftermarket vacuum pump and canister solve my issue or would I be better off converting to manual brakes? Also what pump would you recommend.
P.S. I hope this is in the right place.
I would say go with a hydroboost brake booster. Like on the 6.5 diesel trucks. You can do away with the vacuum booster and run a t splitter off the power steering pump. Just go to a junk yard or pick your part place and pull the power steering lines and hydro brake booster off. Simple to do.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would say go with a hydroboost brake booster. Like on the 6.5 diesel trucks. You can do away with the vacuum booster and run a t splitter off the power steering pump. Just go to a junk yard or pick your part place and pull the power steering lines and hydro brake booster off. Simple to do.

It's not just a diesel thing. Big blocks get it too, plus Astros and G-vans. I don't know if the van options are any easier or harder to use, Though.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I have been selling the vacuum pump I recommended for almost 20 years with no issues. Often the vacuum can and proper tuning can overcome the vacuum problem for very little money. I would like to see the cam changed as well as it's a bit large for a street truck. If you do the hydroboost I recommend adding a second return port to the reservoir. Teeing the return hoses can lock the steering when you let off the pedal in a turn.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have been selling the vacuum pump I recommended for almost 20 years with no issues. Often the vacuum can and proper tuning can overcome the vacuum problem for very little money. I would like to see the cam changed as well as it's a bit large for a street truck. If you do the hydroboost I recommend adding a second return port to the reservoir. Teeing the return hoses can lock the steering when you let off the pedal in a turn.
That or just source the appropriate pump/housing with the return line connection. If he's boneyarding the setup, just get all of it.

Richard

Wintergreen98

Reaction score
The truck is just something to go out and play on every now and then if I was driving it everyday I would have just built a regular 350 for it. The cam is fine for what I'm doing with it.