US Shift Controller Review - In Progress! 4L60/80E Transmission, Engine Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Got it. He's one of the smartest guys on the site, has tons of info, and it seems most of us don't know his name! Haha.

Carry on, guys.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Got it. He's one of the smartest guys on the site, has tons of info, and it seems most of us don't know his name! Haha.

Carry on, guys.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
...it seems most of us don't know his name!

Im all dark and mysterious.....like a ninja!

I'm not really "smart". I've just lots of numbers on my odometer!

:rofl:

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
4l80e behind a 6bt also isn't the best choice.

A stock 80E is pretty much right at its limit for torque with a stock 6bt. They're hellacious stump pullers right off idle and the 80e is originally a gasser transmission. Even the mighty Rat can't compare to a 6BT off idle. Throw in the temptation to turn up the fuel is almost impossible to resist and not long after that, an 80E will calve.

Savanna vans that had the Duramax and a 4L80e had to have the engine "neutered" to keep it within the torque rating of the 80E. A stock LB7 (right around 300 hp) will kill an 80E.

My 98 is wicked up to 271 rwhp (around 300 crank) and 441 ft/lbs and I'm flirting with transmission death. Running fine so far, but I'm pushing the line and am likely shaving good service life off it a bit.

It's the torque and how it's delivered thats the problem. 6bt's have never had a problem with not delivering enough torque....

Making matters worse is early 80E's had a drilled oil passage in the input which weakened the shaft. Around 99-00 they went to a solid shaft which helped a bit, but not a lot.

Somewhere around 01-02 they went to a 4L85E, which could handle a bit more.

A 4L80E behind a 6BT needs to be built for it. A stocker will live, just make sure you have he money available to fix it when the infamous shell bolt breaks or it just plain starts to slip.

:)

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I agree with Great White, cummins is the best idea if you want extreme power (and some black smoke) This project is just a budget diesel build. I want to have a nice MPG diesel with the capability to tow. Plus with motor mounts and the adapter plate, you'll be at $1200 before you have a cummins, add the $500 controller and thats almost $2000 before you even have a cummins engine. The only way i could justify putting a cummins in would be in a NV4500, which would be the best option. Ultimatly the 6.5 i a decent motor (when properly taken care of) And for the most part in comparison with other diesel parts, they're not that expensive. Probably looking at $2000 for a rebuild.

I don't think you can beat a duramax though, that'll be the next stop after these twins! :D

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I agree with Great White, cummins is the best idea if you want extreme power (and some black smoke) This project is just a budget diesel build. I want to have a nice MPG diesel with the capability to tow. Plus with motor mounts and the adapter plate, you'll be at $1200 before you have a cummins, add the $500 controller and thats almost $2000 before you even have a cummins engine. The only way i could justify putting a cummins in would be in a NV4500, which would be the best option. Ultimatly the 6.5 i a decent motor (when properly taken care of) And for the most part in comparison with other diesel parts, they're not that expensive. Probably looking at $2000 for a rebuild.

I don't think you can beat a duramax though, that'll be the next stop after these twins! :D

If you're looking for a decent MPG engine, pop out the 6.5 diamond prechambers and pop in a set of square 6.2 chambers.

They're a little smaller in the mouth area and cost a few HP, but the payoff is a couple more MPG from the increased velocity and mixing that occurs because of the smaller mouth.

You can still build a turbo engine, it just gets a bit better MPG with the square chambers....:)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Update Everyone!

A buddy of mine and me pulled the motor last weekend, so it's out.

You must be registered for see images attach

After looking at the stock downpipe i think i'm also going to go with a 4" diamond eye exhaust system with a 3" downpipe and a 6" tip. It's too restricted with the soot trap and muffler on the stock 2.5" exhaust. The 4" diamond eye will give it a lot more exhaust flow and keep the exhaust temps down, in turn which will help our motor last longer. This may be a little extensive and a bigger project than i thought but i think it will be a good turn out.

Here's the motor thats going in, a 93 DB2 6.5 with 50k on a rebuild. Just going to check over everything and drop it in.

And today the US Shift controller came in! It looks pretty good all of the connections look throughout, quality wiring, and the instructions have plenty of detail for the install. Plus Baumann Electric was very helpful over the phone explaining everything that was needed to install.

Meanwhile i also slapped the RPO Aluminum rims off the 97 onto this truck. With all of the OE bumpers, and the stock K3500 4x4 appearance i figured they looked better on this truck. I'll just have to eye craigslist for some black rims for the 97, or i might just keep these. Not sure.

I also think i'll end up getting some LED turn signals because it gives the truck a mean look at night and will match the LED tails on the rear. I also need to purchase the LED third brake light above the cab so everything is LED. I'll probably also get some newer clearer headlights and will possibly get HID's for a cool night look. I want some custom features with this truck, but ultimately want to keep the OE styling hence the factory look.

Meanwhile the 97 got the old CC rims and tires, stock wheels painted black with 265/75/16's vs the aluminum rims with 245/75/16's.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Here is a list of parts that i have compiled while doing this swap, and just a list of parts that have gone into this truck from start to now.

Engine Swap Parts:

US Shift Quick I Controller (Optishift) - Baumann Electric
88-98 GM Gas Pedal (Throttle Cable Pedal) - Junk Yard
93 Chevrolet 6.5 Turbo Diesel Engine DB2 Injected - Freebie
88-98 GM Throttle Cable - Internet (haven't bought yet)

And for anyone who's wondering what parts went into the whole project....

Red LED Taillights - Ebay
5 LED Markers beneath the tailgate - Walmart
OE Style Fender Flares - Ebay
GMT 400 LED Cab Light Kit - Ebay
2004 HD Aluminum Wheels - Craigslist
OEM Burgandy Center Console - Ebay
Burgandy Cloth GM OEM Bucket Seats - Craigslist
Burgandy Cloth GM OEM Bench Seat - Junk Yard
Factory Style Burgandy Carpet - Stock Interiors
Factory Badged red tailgate - Swapped off the 97
Chrome 94-98 Chevrolet Grill - Partsgeek.com
6.5 Turbo Diesel Hood Decals - Ebay
94+ Dodge Tow Mirrors - Ebay

Additional Plans/Parts Needed:

4" Diamond Eye Straight Pipe Exhaust - Ebay
Custom console below dashboard to house trans controller and gauges - Home Made
Smoke LED Bumper Lamp Turn Signals - Ebay
LED Third Brake Light - Ebay
Clear 88-98 Headlights - Ebay
(MAYBE) HID Kit - Ebay
1 Piece rubber floor mat for the front to protect the new carpet - sportsmans guide