Update on my 11 blade clutch fan vs original 5 blade fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Don't know why you guys want to buy them new. It's not like it's a part that wears out. They just spin around at the end of a shaft. No stress, no strain, no bearings to wear out. Last time I was at the P&P there was about a dozen S-10's in the yard that had this fan. 5 bucks, 5 bucks, 5 bucks!

Actually, diesel guys have been swapping on the plastic Duramax fans for thier 7 bladed steels for quite some time now.

There have been several used ones that have been found to be "chunked" or cracked at the blade roots.

So......used ones need to be inspected closely before being reused.

I'll stick with my 9 bladed steel thanks.

:)

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Actually, diesel guys have been swapping on the plastic Duramax fans for thier 7 bladed steels for quite some time now.

There have been several used ones that have been found to be "chunked" or cracked at the blade roots.

So......used ones need to be inspected closely before being reused.

I'll stick with my 9 bladed steel thanks.

:)

This is the reason why I decided to go new. I've seen all kinds of engine driven and electric fans come apart. It's always good to keep an eye on them like everything else on a vehicle.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw this thread , so I checked out my fan. It's a plastic 12 blade. 98 Z71

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 Burb has a factory plastic 11 blade, so perhaps it was an HD cooling or towing package option on the Vortec trucks? I dunno.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
My '97 Burb has a factory plastic 11 blade, so perhaps it was an HD cooling or towing package option on the Vortec trucks? I dunno.

Whats funny is Oriellys wants almost double for an 11 blade fan for a vortec as opposed to the s10 11 blade fan.