Unknown Paint code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
compnine.com is the best VIN lookup service I've found by far. It used to be free, and they also hosted a ton of useful tech info and parts diagrams. Unfortunately they took all the extra cool stuff down and started charging for the lookup. Still well worth the $5 in my opinion though.

Nickpisp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the one that says my truck is yellow. I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner is close friend of the original owner. It's all original, and white.
I'm not being an arse, I'm glad it has been accurate for some, I'm just saying there seems to be some kind of discrepancy in one form or another with the free ones. (And it pi$$es me off, lol!)

It says mine is yellow also. 50U has been a code for white for a long time though.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have an actual auto body supply store in your area they might be able to help.
Some of them up here still have year by year "paint chip" books
GM RPO codes got reused a lot depending not only on year but also on production plant and type of vehicle
( the great G80 differential debate is a prime example of this)
My 94 RPO paint code turns up as a canadian 95 only paint code but it is a mid 94 production Pontiac Mi truck.
The other kinda jinky problem with earlier gmt400s involves the whole transition from 1980s paper parts catalogs to 1990s microfiche catalogs and all of that getting scanned into early database internet technology.
Information that was kinda sketch to begin with didnt always make it.
And, the other factor....
TSBs
Technical Service Bulletins.
If you are going to live with a Chevy, read the TSBs
Get a library card, a lot of them have access to Chilton ( which sucks) and Mitchells
All kinds of mistakes can happen if you dont get access to GMs "oops" we screwed up files.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I entered my vin on compnine.com
It says my truck has 55 installed options. I entered my vin on freevindecoder.com and counted all installed options-same thing 55. I get the same results whether I pay $5 or not.