under hood temperature management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My current plan.
Header wrap

snorkel intake top of the windshield

Possibly vents at the sides of the fenders.

Still did not convince my self to cut the sides of the hood.

On air dam, there is no place to really fab one. Unless I use it as a way for less air to go down and try it being forces up to the grille.
I added an air dam on my 91 when I had it, and it helped maybe a slight bit. But that one did not have issues with running this warm.
Or drill holes in the bumper.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My current plan.
Header wrap

snorkel intake top of the windshield

Possibly vents at the sides of the fenders.

Still did not convince my self to cut the sides of the hood.

On air dam, there is no place to really fab one. Unless I use it as a way for less air to go down and try it being forces up to the grille.
I added an air dam on my 91 when I had it, and it helped maybe a slight bit. But that one did not have issues with running this warm.
Or drill holes in the bumper.

Or get a diesel bumper and shroud (or an LMC bumper with a grille), I have one on the dually. If/when I do the vents, I'm putting some fatties just off center. Their marketing is pretty lame, but at the same time they say they've sold a ton and don't seem to have complaints about water getting in. Not that it doesn't, more so that it doesn't seem to create issues.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or get a diesel bumper and shroud (or an LMC bumper with a grille), I have one on the dually. If/when I do the vents, I'm putting some fatties just off center. Their marketing is pretty lame, but at the same time they say they've sold a ton and don't seem to have complaints about water getting in. Not that it doesn't, more so that it doesn't seem to create issues.
Been thinking about the bumper. And still trying to figure out how to stuff an intercooler in there

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That diesel bumper definitely lowered my engine temps. No shroud behind, just filled holes with some of that black powder coated aluminum mesh they sell at HD for putting over gutters. Slick.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to work for NY State DOT in the traffic signals dept. Our bucket trucks would idle all day and the cab would get sickeningly hot during summer. I started to pop the hoods while were working on the lights and then keep them popped with the secondary latch while we were driving and it made a HUGE difference in cab temps. (no more heat soak)

So yes I think louvers or backwards facing functional air scoops would make a difference.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 k2500 suburban.

Been searching and looking at adding louvers on the hood and taking the intake tube outside via a snorkel. Running too hot under the hood even when engine is just at operating temperature.

something like this for louvers:

and not sure on snorkel yet.
Wondering if anybody experimented with things.

In addition was considering wrapping the headers(they are short style and ceramic coated). And do need to get the engine it self cooler a bit. Tends to run 200-220, and trying to get it to stay at 195-200. New clutch for the fan and has factory aux fan that is wired to turn on at 190*.
You could also use the fender vents that some of the TransAm's had years ago.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those done right on a 400 or square body,look good, and aer functional.
They have been putting vents on Express vans for a while that are supercharged. Helps get the heat out.

Attachments

• 5502 chevy_gmc_custom_van_express_savana_raised_roof_high_top_sarona_new_york_customized_custo...jpg
    5502 chevy_gmc_custom_van_express_savana_raised_roof_high_top_sarona_new_york_customized_custo...jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 9