Under hood picture request? Wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noom14921992

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely think I am missing something.
I will have to go to the junk yard and find one.

Also, it seems my wires in my coil are backwards.
Are the supposed to be black on passanger side and grey on driver side?
Does the black connector on the coil go to the 2 pin or 4 pin connector on the distributor?

I bet those are important.

Don't you hate it when a friend leads you astrey?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely think I am missing something.
I will have to go to the junk yard and find one.

Also, it seems my wires in my coil are backwards.
Are the supposed to be black on passanger side and grey on driver side?
Does the black connector on the coil go to the 2 pin or 4 pin connector on the distributor?

I bet those are important.

Don't you hate it when a friend leads you astrey?
The harness connections to the ignition coil are keyed, so they only go on one way. If it looks backwards it may be that the coil is simply bolted to the intake backwards. Not an issue unless it causes problems with the harness reaching it without strain.

Seems like your friend meant well to help you with that job but maybe the skill level isn't there to really do a pro-level job. Generally you gotta pay well for good results (and still may not get them.)

Richard

noom14921992

Reaction score
The harness connections to the ignition coil are keyed, so they only go on one way. If it looks backwards it may be that the coil is simply bolted to the intake backwards. Not an issue unless it causes problems with the harness reaching it without strain.

Seems like your friend meant well to help you with that job but maybe the skill level isn't there to really do a pro-level job. Generally you gotta pay well for good results (and still may not get them.)

Richard
The plugs that were on the truck were busted. The previous owner "made them fit"
We replaced them with new ones.
They are keyed the only way they will go. But the colors are backwards from the picture.

Just looked again, my coil is backwards. The plug wire is in the front. So I think we are good. Lol

My friend is a great guy. But he goes to fast sometimes and is over confident at times.

I can turn a wrench. But he does know more than me.

noom14921992

Reaction score
Yeah,those crimp connectors are pretty ugly too.
I want to replace the whole wiring harness.
But we have to get it running first. Lol

It ran with a blown head gasket and now it does not.
But we think it's the valve adjustment.
He did not do it correctly.
Some of the valves are not closing and opening all the way.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The plugs that were on the truck were busted. The previous owner "made them fit"
We replaced them with new ones.
They are keyed the only way they will go. But the colors are backwards from the picture.

Just looked again, my coil is backwards. The plug wire is in the front. So I think we are good. Lol

My friend is a great guy. But he goes to fast sometimes and is over confident at times.

I can turn a wrench. But he does know more than me.
I've got a couple dozen pics all over the intake of a TBI 5.7, in this thread: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tbi-small-block-intake-gasket-replacement-pic-heavy.60383/

The only catch is my example is a '94 model so there will be a few differences from your truck. '94 has no ESC module but you'll see it still uses the same bracket for it, just has that big blank spot where the ESC would go (on '94 it's built into the PCM), the only thing on that bracket is the EGR solenoid on the backside. You'll notice a device on the driver front near the thermostat housing; that's the EVAP purge solenoid, a new-for-'94 feature. A few color codes on the wires here and there may not be the same.

Edit - another difference in my pics is that you'll notice a vacuum tee at the front of the TBI unit, I added that, it's non-original. I've got a small line running into the cab to a vacuum gauge. Normally, just the PCV valve is hooked to that large port.

The pics in the thread should help though, I hope!

Richard

The Beast OBS

Reaction score
Hello all.

Friend of mine did some work to my truck and now I think it is not all put back together correctly.

We are about to do the valve adjustment after doing head gasket.

But I wanted to see if anyone could post some pictures of the engine bay and how everything is supposed to go.

I know it's ugly under there. But this is my first real project truck and I am trying to learn while my friend is still able to help me.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I got you I’m installing a new engine I took pics of my old to know where it’s going lol

Attachments

• IMG_4516.jpeg
    IMG_4516.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4516.jpeg
    IMG_4516.jpeg