Turn downs???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the point of running turndowns before the axle? Im putting new exhaust on mine and and dumping it before the axle, but want to know if theres any good reason to put turn downs on or just leave them straight? I think I'll be doing dual glasspacks right after the cats so I was wondering if turndowns after would be better or not really make a difference?

Last edited:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Turndowns before the axle keep your axle from being hit with hot exhaust gasses everytime you drive which could make seals go bad :shrug: After the axle would be best to limit drone

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I aint sure if that'd really work or not, hot gasses hitting the axle going down the road, it has tons of room and cooler air to mix with before hitting it.

I know one thing for sure I had happen myself, bad exhaust fumes on whatever you have in the bed. I had mine dumped behind the cab, hauled some sheetrock and it smelled of ehxuast for a while, BAD!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking hot gasses on the bed, or brake lines or something, maybe brake cables, but again it has alot of air moving around to mix with and pull them out.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm ok that kinda makes sense I guess II'll probably just pick up some turndowns just to be safe. Thanks guys

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Swims, I was kinda skeptical about it too, but i remember someone saying it once so I was just relaying that info...it would probably be ok, but running turndowns isnt too big of a deal

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah but there like 15 bucks a piece and if I dont really need em why spends the extra 30..

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a turndown on mine dumped right behind the cab and it makes it drone a hell of alot less inside and pushes exhaust gasses down and away from your truck which probably helps prevent rusting somewhat. just my .02

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea good point on the money.

good point on the rust, all the heat and then cold and condensation under the bed, that could happen.

I'm sure the rear end could get issues as well from it, then as I said, Man, anything in the bed, STANKY!!!!!!