Tuning vortec to run on as little sensors as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In addition to what Pinger said .....and don't fix non-existent problems till it's Fubar'd. Fix the problem not the symptom. The bean counters and engineer's at GM already removed just about everything that was unnecessary to begin with.

Last edited:

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear oxygen sensors don't affect your air/fuel ratio.
I'm not sure about the black box PCM's, but at least on an E38, the rear O2's do have an effect on LTFT. They can be effected by clogged up cats or bad rear O2 sensors and cause terrible fuel mileage. When you delete the rear O2's, you are basically telling the ECU that they are failed and it stops letting them influence the AFR trims, so it doesn't hurt a cat deleted exhaust to delete the rear O2's, but the rear O2's DO have an impact on the fuel trims if they are present and not failed.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah if that is the case for black box trucks, that’s why I want to delete them, so there is 2 less sensors that can go bad and screw with fuel/air mixture, making it have bad gas mileage. I will probably wait until they actually fail to delete them though.

Last edited:

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah if that is the case for black box trucks, that’s why I want to delete them, so there is 2 less sensors that can go bad and screw with fuel/air mixture, making it have bad gas mileage. I will probably wait until they actually fail to delete them though.
There is no case for deleting any of this. You are talking about crippling your fuel injection by purposely failing it's systems just to reduce the chance of them failing?!?! What kind of sense does that make.

You are basically saying "my leg might get infected some day, so I'll just chop it off now so I don't have to worry about it"

The engine will run in speed density mode(MAP only) so that you can limp it somewhere to fix it if something goes wrong with the MAF. It is a robustness and stability thing, not a viable daily driven alternative. People delete the MAF and run speed density tunes all the time... on big turbo drag racing cars. Because it makes it easier for them to tune and they don't need daily driven manners. They are gonna be shifting under full throttle all the time anyways, so who cares if the torque calculations can't happen.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be clear; you will not improve your stock vehicle with a stock ecm in any way by deleting sensors. Not only that, but the effort to delete them is in fact greater than the effort to replace them in the unlikely event of a failure, i.e. it's a total waste of time.

If you're doing your own motor with aftermarket engine management, then you have more flexibility when it comes to what you want to include / exclude.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the clarifications. As a newbie to the truck scene, this is why I ask on forums first lol. I had simply heard of people deleting the MAF, knock sensor, etc. and was wondering if its practical on a stock truck that is daily driven. Now I know the answer is no. That kind of pcm tuning is only useful for high performance applications.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the clarifications. As a newbie to the truck scene, this is why I ask on forums first lol. I had simply heard of people deleting the MAF, knock sensor, etc. and was wondering if its practical on a stock truck that is daily driven. Now I know the answer is no. That kind of pcm tuning is only useful for high performance applications.
The way to knowledge is to ask questions - and then listen to the answers. You're doing both - commendable.