Tune up gone wrong, PLEASE HELP ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado with a 5.7L. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, spark plugs, and spark plug wires today, and now it cranks over but will not start for anything and backfires out of the TBI. I reconnected all that I disconnected, I'm sure of (not that much to disconnect). It was running before but not all to well, and I could tell it needed a tuneup. I think the timing is off track, but I barely moved the dizzy if I did at all!

I have checked TDC and moved wires according to rotor button direction over and over for about 30 times now and i'm just totally lost in the sauce. What do you think? Please help. This is my DD and I've got work in the morning.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like the plug wires are out of order to me since you did not pull and move the dist.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may have swapped the coil wires around. Beleive it or not those connectors will fit either terminal on the coil. Try swapping those around or check a wiring diagram.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a crossed plug wire, or they are in the wrong firing order, or the wrong rotation, or wrong number 1. The timming is adjusted by the ECM for the most part.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
Sounds like the plug wires are out of order to me since you did not pull and move the dist.

When originally changing the cap, I pulled and placed wires one by one. And when redoing timing over and over, I disconnect all wires from cap, trace each wire to its location, and snap them on one by one in the counterclock wise setup.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
You may have swapped the coil wires around. Beleive it or not those connectors will fit either terminal on the coil. Try swapping those around or check a wiring diagram.

If you are talking about the 2 connectors on the coil, I thought so too but the way it was shaped, I didnt think it could go on wrong. Will recheck though.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a crossed plug wire, or they are in the wrong firing order, or the wrong rotation, or wrong number 1. The timming is adjusted by the ECM for the most part.

I have tried even running the wires across the engine itself to make sure it's going where its supposed to. I have tried the firing order clockwise and counterclock wise (because the first "gm 350 firing order" I googled was in the clockwise format with the arrow going clockwise).