tune or shift kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baddbradd

Reaction score
I bought my brother 1997 ecsb z71. It has almost 200k miles.....but a rebuilt trans (less than 500 miles). Problem is it flares between shifts. I was gonna get a bb tune but was wondering if a transgo shift kit was needed?. I'll ask Justin at BB tomorrow. Btw it has 35" tires and 3:42's---yea, I know it sux, but its temporary. I has performed a "search" already, thx:peace:

CaRaZy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can drop the pan and accumulator body and give the EPC a 1/4 turn to see if that helps you compensate for the soft shifts. If you had scanner access you can check to see what your trans adapts are and that would give a better idea of where you need to go. Also you can reset those adapts to see how it shifts before it starts adapting.

CaRaZy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need more info let me know. It will give you more pressure linearly so that should work to fix those shifts.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I just put a B&M ShiftPlus electronic shift improver on mine and I really like it. It's only around $50 and just taps into two wires. Has a stock setting plus two levels of performance. Don't expect neck breaking shifts but it really firms up the transmission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I just put a B&M ShiftPlus electronic shift improver on mine and I really like it. It's only around $50 and just taps into two wires. Has a stock setting plus two levels of performance. Don't expect neck breaking shifts but it really firms up the transmission.

My truck has one of these also. I never tried the firmest setting though.
I actually have it turned off right now because I reinstalled the Hypertech tuner that my truck came with.
I kept the stock engine tune though.

baddbradd

Reaction score
I talked to Justin and he recommended adj. the epc solenoid as did CaRaZy, then a tune. Only doing a tune would more or less just be covering a mech. issue. SO, now drop the pan and adj. it maybe a 1/4 turn. I hate loosing new trans fluid. Any tips guys? thanks. Gonna spend the day, at work, lol reading and searching.....

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to Justin and he recommended adj. the epc solenoid as did CaRaZy, then a tune. Only doing a tune would more or less just be covering a mech. issue. SO, now drop the pan and adj. it maybe a 1/4 turn. I hate loosing new trans fluid. Any tips guys? thanks. Gonna spend the day, at work, lol reading and searching.....

You could pump it out of the dipstick tube with a hand pump, but the pump would cost as much as a gallon of Dex 3, which is about all you will lose. Your call.

baddbradd

Reaction score
yea, I just ordered atransmission pressure gauge setup from Amazon for 30 bucks. I will check my pressure first be fore I adjust anything. I'll get a bb tune after all this is straight. Thanks guys

baddbradd

Reaction score
Well I received my trans/oil pressure checker today. Fast delivery from amazon and I even selected 2 day service. Any way, pressure was about 65psi at idle in park and reverse was a little higher at 11psi or so. Drive gears were around 115 psi, slightly fluctuating with rpms. So, by what I've read that is way below minimum. The adjustment is in the epc solenoid correct? Should I shoot for approx. 220psi in drive? Thanks for the advice guys....