truck's blowing a lot of white smoke...HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

I just finished replacing the leaf springs on my truck so I can get the bed put back on and I haven't ran the truck in a week or more but when i fired it up it was blowing a lot of white smoke. It looked like steam and I know it's normal for some white smoke to come out of the exhaust pipe especially when cold but this was quite a bit of smoke and when i revved it and let off it would get heavy for a couple seconds. At first I thought head gasket but I checked the color of the oil which was fine and then the coolant which is pure green so I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe it's normal? Or could I be running rich? The exhaust doesn't smell like fuel it smells like normal exhaust but I do notice a fair amount of water coming out of the tailpipe. I guess I just don't know where to start looking so if you guys have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

P.S. When I get a chance I'll take a video of it and upload it because I think with something like this a visual would definitely help me describe it

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I think it's normal because most vehicles do this when cold. It could be humidity in the air or water in your gas.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what i'm worried about. I youtubed some head gasket videos and mine doesn't seem to be smoking nearly as much as others with blown head gaskets. I'm going to do some more investigating when I get out of work tonight and maybe snap a video and upload for ya'll to see.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping so...I've owned many vehicles and I know a little steam is normal this seems like more than normal but maybe not quite as much as a headgasket leak. My dad who is a mechanic even commented on the fact it seemed like it was smoking a lot. I don't know thought because it seems like it is smoking more than a normal vehicle would but not as much as the blown headgasket videos I saw on youtube. I'm thinking it may be water in the gas since i've had the bed off and its rained quite a bit here. I like said i'm gonna poke around and see if I can determine whether or not it is a head gasket issue.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I did some further investigating and I'm still not sure If i have a problem or not. There wasn't any milky coffee like liquid on the oil cap or the dipstick and the smoke when I started it up today wasn't nearly as bad as the other day but the coolant in the radiator was bubbling. I took a couple videos with my cell phone so the quality wasn't the greatest and I wasn't paying attention to the camera for a couple seconds in some of the vids but I'll post them anyways and you guys tell me what you think. I think i'm going to rent a compression tester and see what I get since I haven't tested the compression on this engine yet and then I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a combustion leak tester but anyways lemme know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtcs_qsRfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ70nqyL5sY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlGXE2hm9D0

custom rides

Reaction score
looks ok to me, my s10 did that every day. in the early morning, my front yard would be filled with smoke. as it warms up it will stop.
its not a gasket, its not rings, its just smoke. i can't explain it but my truck ran like a champion. it also had 200k on the engine.