Truck still rolls when i put it in park ??? whats up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a 89 sclb 4x4 truck and when i put it in park it still rolls, gets kinda annoying after awhile esp when you for get to set the parking brake lol... it has both drive shafts in it and it runs great other then this lol.

any idea ive never came across this issue before

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mis-adjusted shift linkage(this can happen since you have a body lift)....or a broken park pawl in the transmission...

dang i did not know this, i know the linkage is off because the gears do not line up with what the dash says im in.. ive never messed with the linkage before though so it will be a learning exp for me.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dang i did not know this, i know the linkage is off because the gears do not line up with what the dash says im in.. ive never messed with the linkage before though so it will be a learning exp for me.

Under the hood where the coloum comes out of the cab is where the linkage can be adjusted. Its just a set screw that holds the shift rod into place. With the 3" lift its comes with a extension for this rod that is to be welded into place. Some can get by without it. You can also manually shift the trans from underneth the truck, just have to unhook the linkage and I'm thinking farthest forward is park but do not quote me on that. When doing it manually if trans goes into park and holds then you know its just an adjustment but if it doesnt hold then its inside the trans.

As for the gears not lining up propper in the dash display that is just a little tab that hooks to the coloum under the dash. Need to remove the instrument bezel to get to it.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Under the hood where the coloum comes out of the cab is where the linkage can be adjusted. Its just a set screw that holds the shift rod into place. With the 3" lift its comes with a extension for this rod that is to be welded into place. Some can get by without it. You can also manually shift the trans from underneth the truck, just have to unhook the linkage and I'm thinking farthest forward is park but do not quote me on that. When doing it manually if trans goes into park and holds then you know its just an adjustment but if it doesnt hold then its inside the trans.

As for the gears not lining up propper in the dash display that is just a little tab that hooks to the coloum under the dash. Need to remove the instrument bezel to get to it.

sweet man thanks for the info.. is there any certain spec the linkage under the hood should be adjusted to? like i said ive never really messed with it so im un sure until i get home tonight and start messing with it