Truck is Running poorly after snowstorm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So back in sept we had a freak snow storm with very heavy wet sticky snow, i was driving to work when my truck began to feel very labored and having issues driving. So i pulled over and stuck my head under it and i had slushy snow packed from the bottom of the truck to the frame rail. I could not even take the truck out of drive. The drive shaft was trying to spin through the snow and causing the truck to work harder.

I went home and got all the snow cleared out by spraying hot water under it. After all the snow was clear the truck ran like crap, it would want to stall and die when idleing, and felt like it had no power until you floored it, then it would rev up and run like normal. After a few days it went back to normal and it has been running perfect. Last night it snowed again with similar snow, I began driving home from my girlfriends when it started again. I poked my head under and snow had begun to build up in a similar way.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? A little info on the truck, 1994 k1500 340,000km original motor tbi 350 volant cai, mid length headers with 3in exhaust. Had a full tune up this summer, Had new fuel pump 1.5 yrs ago, fully rebuilt trans last winter.

here is a picture of her for your time
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck! My 96 GMC I had, had the exact same paint pattern.

Sorry, I can't help with your issue.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha thanks, always nice to get complements. They are pro comp rock crawler series 51, i painted a stock newer chevy center cap to match and put it on. Just put them on this week.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand why you would think that, but i just replaced all of those parts in august, when this happened last time it was if what ever was messing up "dried out" after a few days and there were no more issues. So i feel as if something is getting wet from the snow and then causing the truck to run poorly if that even is possible.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Smaller tires will splash up less snow, but you arent going to change them, so I am of no help...lol

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Did you replace the ignition coil? Mine use misfire in the rain until I replaced it. Also if you bought cheap ignition parts, being 3 months old doesn't mean they are not bad.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
My bet is the converters bit the big one after being red hot and getting sprayed with slushy snow. Start the truck and if you hear the catalyst rattling inside the can.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not replaced the coil, but that is something i will do tomorrow, i replaced the ignition parts with ac delco plugs and standard blue streak cap and rotor, and the premium ngk plug wires. The way it runs is like when my fuel pump was on its way out, so it makes me feel like its not getting fuel properly. Has anyone ever had an issue with moisture getting into the fuel pump plug or something like that? I am just trying to think of any ideas as why this has started both times with snow, when i have had no issues in winter in the last 4 years i have owned this truck.