Poor idle when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hauntedluis

Reaction score
Hey i have a ‘88 with a 4.3l non vortec and my truck shuts off at idle when its cold. Once it gets to temp it idles and drives just fine. Anyone know what could be causing this? I replaced my coolant temp sensor, cleaned my throttle body, replaces my iac valve and no luck. Any help? Sorry for my lack of knowledge lol ive been learning how to work on her myself through youtube.

Attachments

• IMG_8448.jpeg
    IMG_8448.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 6

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inspect all the usual "tune-up" items and services--cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, check initial timing, EGR, PCV, and heated air intake systems.

Connect a scan tool, find out if the computer is receiving proper signal from ALL of the various sensors, especially MAP and coolant temperature, and sending out proper commands to the IAC and other computer-controlled devices.

For the record, the first "Vortec" engines were advertised for the '85 model year--the 90 degree, 3/4-of-a-small-block V6. So, yeah, your engine is a Vortec, but not the "famous" and popularly-known version that started for the '96 model year.

hauntedluis

Reaction score
Inspect all the usual "tune-up" items and services--cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, check initial timing, EGR, PCV, and heated air intake systems.

Connect a scan tool, find out if the computer is receiving proper signal from ALL of the various sensors, especially MAP and coolant temperature, and sending out proper commands to the IAC and other computer-controlled devices.

For the record, the first "Vortec" engines were advertised for the '85 model year--the 90 degree, 3/4-of-a-small-block V6. So, yeah, your engine is a Vortec, but not the "famous" and popularly-known version that started for the '96 model year.

Thanks a ton!! And thank you for informing me about it being a vortec, I dont know much about my car as im just starting to build it part by part so the help and heads up is super useful!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful calling it a "Vortec".

The '96-newer "Vortec" is so engrained in folks heads that they won't understand that your V6 was sold as a Vortec, but isn't a '96-newer "Vortec".